Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Default 50NL: Appropriate spot for a blocking bet? Also, sucker straight

Should we be using blocking bets at this level often, not at all, or somewhere in between?

Villain seems a bit better than average, maybe. He's running something like 35/12 over about 100 hands. Hate not to have any other reads, but we hadn't gotten tangled up against each other yet.

His turn bet was almost insta. Does that mean he's done thinking about the hand, as in he's either felting or folding to anything? Should I have led out on the turn and folded to a raise?

For the purposes of education, I decided to just call the turn. Should I donk out now? If I c/c, how big does the bet have to be for me to change my call to a fold?

Full Tilt Poker
$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
UTG: $62.30
MP: $19
CO: $100.60
BTN: $13.30
SB: $62.8
Hero (BB): $49.5

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($0.75, 6 players)
UTG folds, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, BTN folds, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3</font>, MP folds, CO calls $2.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] ($6.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $6.75</font>, Hero calls $6.75

<font color="black">River:</font> J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] ($20.25, 2 players)
Hero...
Old 03-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: 50NL: Appropriate spot for a blocking bet? Also, sucker straight

Yikes...
I don't really like calling much of anything here. If he had bet the flop I might think you are ahead but a Queen is almost obvious here. Wouldn't he have bet a pair on the flop? I would check and hope to check it down and fold to anything but a 1/4 pot bet..
Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 PM

As for a blocking bet, he will probably just raise it anyways so it isn't very useful. I think if you were going to call on the turn you should have led out.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:06 PM

It seems like leading only folds out almost all worse hands, gets raised by all better hands, and only sometimes gets called.

The other real possibility is that he's got one of the other two sevens.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:08 PM

I agree, but if you have him beat he will just check it down and you will win. If you don't, he is going to go to war with the hand. I think you should just try and show it down and look for a less dangerous spot..
Old 03-08-2007, 12:09 PM

If you decide to put out a blocker, $9 seems fine. but this is prob not the best play. imo river is a check/probably fold.

I'm not sure what to make of his insta turn bet, from my experience insta bets are either air or a monster, more skewed towards air. If he had a random 2 pair or even a Q(K), he would surely have thought more about how he wants to play it.

I would have bet 2/3 pot on the turn and see how he reacts.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:13 PM

If villain is decent and doesn't have a queen he probably checks behind on that board if you called the turn. I just C/F C/C small the river.