Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 04:15 PM

Default I am destroying my home game... (Long..i think?)

In the middle of last semester, I made an effort to get a solid home game going. Through facebook I found a decent sized group of players, and began hosting a cash game twice a week in a common room at my dorm.
The game eventually settled into .50/.50 no limit HE with 6 or 7 regulars and a group of 5 or 6 people who showed up occasionally. Everyone initially buys in for 20$-30$, while 1 or 2 players will not rebuy if the bust, the majority of the players have at least another buy in, if not 3-4 more. On a typical night, the total pot is usually anywhere between 400$-600$
Now, i have played in several home games before college, played plenty of 1/2 at turning stone, and seen my share of poor players. However, i can safely say that this game is the easiest, softest, most beatable game I have ever had the pleasure to sit down in. There are 2 or 3 calling stations, who will call any reasonable sized bet with bottom pair, ace high, gut-shot, etc., 2 or 3 weak tight players who limp with medium pairs, QJ, KQ, AJ, and will only raise with a top tier, premium hand, and can be pushed off of anything but the strongest of holdings post-flop. There are 2 or 3 poor laggy players, who make min raise bluffs, senseless river bets with medium strength hands, and like to bluff all their chips off, displaying numerous classic tells. All in all, there are 2 other players who seem to understand even basic concepts (position, implied odds), and even they misuse these things quite frequently.

That being said, I would like to point out that I'm not boasting or infering that I am the greatest player in the universe. I am, however, quite serious about poker, and love to study and learn about the game. I own just about every book I could find on the topic, and have read and reread each one many times. I like to sift through these forums and read stratagies, hands, and opinions frequently. I have spent alot of time reading books on physical tells, physcology, and theory, and I would rate myself an extremely good micro and small stakes player (notice my extremely narrow label), and feel that games such as this are quite easy pickings.

At first, I assumed these players would get better, learn some new plays, mix up their game a little, or just stop coming. But we have played two games a week for just over 3 months now... 28 cash games in all, for a total of 94 hours. I have made a little over $2,000 profit, making $21.65 an hour thus far. I have had 4 losing sessions, 24 winning sessions, with my average win being much higher then my average loss.
Things have been great, but recently, people from the game have finally took notice to how much I have been winning. I have been known as a "winning" player among the group, but recently was asked during the game about how much I had won in total from the game. I deflected the question saying i was unsure, but soon a conversation grew, and everyone gave their opionon to how much of their money i had won. At first it seemed almost a little joking, but by the end of the night, it turned a little bitter. Now, these are the type of guys who if you ask them how they've done over the course of the game, they'll all tell you that they are "about even". Now, every time i turn over a rivered flush, or crack one of their big hands, it seems like the fun is sucked out of the game for a while. Some nights, I feel a little deflated, where as I used to get quite a bit of enjoyment out of the game, as did the losers. I like all of these guys, they are funny and fun-loving for the most part, and I don't like that they may be growing a little upset at me. I don't play a cutthroat game, I love to chat and talk it up at the table, but never bash or insult players. There is quite a lot of humor and sarcastic trash talk from the whole table, but I don't think this bothers anyone.
I dont want to lose this game, and I dont want these kids to think i'm an [censored] or something...
any one know how to get this game back to its friendlier roots, so everyone (including myself) can enjoy themselves on tuesdays and wednesdays again?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: I am destroying my home game... (Long..i think?)

not sure.... maybe offer to buy the pizza once in a while....
or just quit yelling "whammo" when you hit your flush on the river.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:28 PM

I think your best bet is to find more players for your game. You can only hit the same guys so many times before they stop giving it to you. In the meantime (while you look for other players, lighten up on them a bit to keep'm around. Making $10/hr less is better than losing your whole game, is it not? Three months with 12-14 revolving players sounds like a long time. I really think you need new blood, just don't invite anymore sharks than you have to.

You say it's in a dorm..why not post a notice in the common area for interested players to contact you about joining?

Another thing you can consider is not going to the game EVERY meeting, take a break. Miss a day one week and then a week or two later, skip both games that week, you need to change your image a bit..they've got you pegged as a grinder.

D_D
Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You say it's in a dorm..why not post a notice in the common area for interested players to contact you about joining?

[/ QUOTE ]

i certainly think new blood is a great idea, although i've worried about posting flyers. I wouldn't want a bitchy RA to take a stand against it, and I wouldnt want to advertise "HEY! LOTS OF MONEY IN ONE ROOM! PLEASE ROB US!", lol... but i think i just might do the flyers anyway, maybe invest in a glock just in case.

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing you can consider is not going to the game EVERY meeting, take a break. Miss a day one week and then a week or two later, skip both games that week, you need to change your image a bit..they've got you pegged as a grinder.

[/ QUOTE ]

This in theory is good advice, but 1) I host the game in my suite, so it might be awkward if i'm not in attendance, and 2) I am way to much of an addict to miss a game.

thank you for the response tho, i think new blood is currently the only reasonable solution, even if it's through flyers.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Try training sessions to teach the fish how to play better, if you're worried about game sustainability and the atmosphere that's being created.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:23 PM

I/ve been in the same boat, differnet set up from yours but the same cause.

A few things to remember
1: never admit how much you have won, if asked say you don't keep track.

2: Never make comments about a winning streak or try to defend your winnings.

3: Get used to hearing off comments, remember, if you win alot, you will end up hearing these type of comments.

4: Don't lose on purpose, just play your game.

5: Bring some food or something for the next game. Don't go overboard, just by some finger food like chips of a meat tray.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:28 PM

chips of a meat tray?

WTF?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:47 PM

a meat tray? haha...i think 2 pizzas and a 12 pack of soda/beer(if you can get away with it) would do the trick...
try being overly generous and friendly while making sure not to come off as patronizing...
Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 PM

oh yeah...and post this in THE DORM...
Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 PM

You're in college, right? A couple cases of Natty should do the trick. And drink some yourself.