Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Strategy Forum

It occurs to me that many posters in MTTc feel that the strategy forum is much weaker than it used to be. This may or may not be true.

Honestly, I haven't been around much lately so I can't say either way, but I did do some thinking about this.

I believe that the regular posters in the MTTc are stronger players than in the strategy forum (although there is quite a bit of overlap). This also may or may not be true.

So, what makes the strategy forum weak? I say it is the stronger players not posting in there. I'd love to hear other ideas though.

So why don't the stronger players post there? Because there are too many weak posters floating around with bad ideas with whom they don't have time to answer (b/c they have answered them a million times) or they don't want to associate with. Of course, I am sure there are other reasons.

So...it occurs to me that if there were fewer weak players posting and more strong players would post in the strategy forum. This may or may not be true.

So, how do we get rid of the weak posters? I propose the 0evg0 solution. I just read a recent post of his in the strategy forum that read as follows:
[ QUOTE ]

hey!

you're why this forum sucks!

have a great day!

[/ QUOTE ]

So it occurs to me that his relative rudeness does one of two things: 1) Discourages weak posters from hanging around. 2) Encourages weak posters to work harder and learn more which may make them into strong posters.

So...to build up the strat forum, maybe the strong posters should blast the weak posters up and down until they either leave or get better.

I'm not sure I'm really ready to advocate this strategy yet. Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

R. Sherman
Ph. D. Student Personality/Social Psychology
Old 02-21-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Strategy Forum

I agree with the statement that strat forum got weaker, but disagree with the diagnosis of the cause and the proposed remedy. Lately there are some new posters whose starting posts I seek out as usually generating good discussions.

PS. BTW, you suck, have a great day.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 AM

basically the learning curve amongst people that were here 12 months ago is not linear.

if you were posting in mttf around this time last year (i think i started in like may?) you either now get it to the point where stuff in there is ridic elementary and standard, or you have not progressed much at all. there's like no one who is "halfway there", and there have been no new wave of posters coming in since that time to build up to that middle-ground of understanding. which is were most of the decent threads actually come from.

no offense to most people on this forum, but there's like 10 people whose opinions and thoughts i respect, and so i just IM them instead of getting PocketRockets52526 telling me to min-raise to find out where i'm at.

think back to this time last year when Exit was running that micro-limit contest, Noah was playing like $5 tournaments and everyone was like "yo he's good at maths, he may end up decent", gobbo was not too good for online mtt's that started before 8pm and/or took place on a weekday, etc.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you were posting in mttf around this time last year (i think i started in like may?) you either now get it to the point where stuff in there is ridic elementary and standard, or you have not progressed much at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhm...lol. Another evg classic commentary. I agree that the strat forum is way weaker now though.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you were posting in mttf around this time last year (i think i started in like may?) you either now get it to the point where stuff in there is ridic elementary and standard, or you have not progressed much at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhm...lol. Another evg classic commentary. I agree that the strat forum is way weaker now though.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? I'm not posting there anymore. ^o) [censored] got redundant.

Finding I just surf the higher-BI threads. More value.

336-tabling might have a bit to do with that too. Oh, well.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:48 AM

I have no idea what higher-BI threads are.

I just found it funny that you either 'got stuff' or you didn't.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what higher-BI threads are.

I just found it funny that you either 'got stuff' or you didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

compare the number of people who effectively learn something from the mtt forum to the number of people who still have no clue compared to the people who are learning, but taking a bit longer to do it (for any number of reasons, this isnt meant to be as an insult) and it'd go something like, oh, say....:

get it = dont >>>>>>>>>> kinda do

name like 5 people in the kinda do camp and i'll be impressed
Old 02-22-2007, 04:46 AM

Yea, it basically reaches the point where the guys higher up in the MTT totem poll don't see the point of posting a 100r hand to a have a guy whos highest buy in is 10/180 telling him how to play the hand.

OTOH, my telling a guy in a 10/180 how to play his hand is either going to be obvious, redundant, or pointless, since i don't really know how 10/180 players think.

Most of the time these days for quick hands i need thoughts on i turn to AIM, but i like to still make an effort to get the tougher spots a post over in MTT strat.

There are still plenty of times that 2 or 3 good players can't come to an agreement about the proper play of a hand, and then it NEEDS to end up in MTT strat, so hopefully people keep looking out for the good/tough situation posts and offering advice.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:49 AM

How does one become worthy of these mysterious AIM strategy discussions?

Also Bond, are you backed up with HHs? I'd be interested in seeing what you think about some of my tourneys.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:57 AM

a good start would be to download the AIM client.