Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default My computer clock is off by like 40 minutes a day...

Okay, so last friday im working away, all stoked that i get to go to a sweet thai food place for lunch. my computer clock clicks to 12:00, i call my coworker to see if they want to leave. they say "dude, its 11:25". I look at another clock and swear. I fix the time. Today, im waiting to leave work, we;re leaving at 3:30 today. My clock clicks over to 3:30 and i call my coworker to see if they wanna leave. they say, "dude, wtf, its 2:50?" I swear again and reset the clock again. any ideas on why this might be happening?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: My computer clock is off by like 40 minutes a day...

My clock kept losing the time I ignored it until the whole machine went dead and refused to boot turned out to be the battery that sits on the motherboard and powers the bios.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:36 AM

timezone?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:35 AM

Go into the BIOS and check to see that the time is set correctly in there.
if that doesnt work...
Make sure you have the right timezone set( though i dont seee it being off by 40 minutes because of a timezone set issue)
Id that doesnt work...
change the CMOS battery( the little silver disk battery on the motherboard.)
Old 02-28-2007, 11:46 AM

For a quick fix, there are tons of apps out there for synching your machine's time to one of the atomic clocks. Many of them will re-synch every hour, which always seemed batshit crazy to me. But I guess it'd be perfect for you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 AM

this is most likely a BIOS problem that I have seen before. you may want to try changing your CMOS battery but also going into your BIOS during boot and verify the time. change it if needed.

edit: others might be right though with the time zone setting, because doesn't XP go out to the internet and update times? so def. check that
Old 02-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

this morning there was a note on my monitor from an IT person, telling me they had "updated my system" my clock is currently perfect. odds theyre reading everything i type?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this morning there was a note on my monitor from an IT person, telling me they had "updated my system" my clock is currently perfect. odds theyre reading everything i type?

[/ QUOTE ]

they may have installed the new "internet time" update from Microsoft in anticipation of the new daylight savings time.

and yes, there is a good chance they monitor everyone regularly. I worked for a college about a year ago and it was amazing. My job was just to VNC (remotely monitor) into the campus' computers and monitor what everyone was doing.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:14 PM

also, its nasa, so i assume we're monitored more closely than like the acme barrel company's employees or whatever.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, its nasa, so i assume we're monitored more closely than like the acme barrel company's employees or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, the acme barrel company uses some of the most advanced internal and external monitoring software out in the market. their IDS is far more advanced than most.