Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Regular boxing or kickboxing?

I really want to get involved in some form of fight sport, i'v narrowed it down to regular boxing or kickboxing. My main priority is basically beeing able to protect myself if I end up in a fight. So which of these two would suit me best? And why?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Regular boxing or kickboxing?

Do you want to kick people?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:25 PM

I dont know, you tell me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2007, 03:28 PM

It is kind of hard to say with the limited details you gave. Assuming both classes are from decent teachers (schools), either should do.

Just make sure they are "real" classes. A lot of classes are lame cardio classes. There isnt any real contact and all you learn in how to defend yourself if someone swings a punching bag at you..

Also for self defence, Muay Thai might be a good compromise. Its like kickboxing, but with knees and elbows, basically. Pretty good for real life situations..
Old 02-21-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm supposed to know what you want? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Serious answer: try both. See which you like more.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm supposed to know what you want? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Serious answer: try both. See which you like more.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wants you to tell him which is more effective ON THE STREETS, cause we all know that people are constantly being jumped on the streets and being put into situations in which you have to fight and can't run away.

Seriously, though, do either. It doesn't really make a differece as long as whichever gym you train at emphasizes full contact, live, and realistic sparring.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really want to get involved in some form of fight sport

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My main priority is basically beeing able to protect myself if I end up in a fight

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Fight sports have rules. The streets have no rules. If you don't train to execute groin kicks, you're giving up a lot. Boxing/kickboxing/muay thai will still give you a good edge versus an untrained dude, but you have to train hard. As the other guys said, make sure the instructor is good, and make sure it's a serious class that emphasizes what you are looking for.

I study Jeet Kune Do. It emphasizes groin kicks, and eyejabs, but has a good boxing and kicking and footwork structure to back it up.

However, if you're not too serious about training hard, and you're concerned about your personal safety, you should look into your local laws about carrying various weapons.

I live in CA, so I'm allowed to carry a folding knife, and pepper spray (or mace). Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to carry a folding baton, or else I'd bring one of those bad boys out with me. They are truly NASTY.

If you decide to carry a knife, make sure you carry it where it's readily accessible, and make sure you spend lots of time practicing your quick draw with it.

Good luck doing w/e you end up doing, and try not to get yourself into any trouble with it.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He wants you to tell him which is more effective ON THE STREETS, cause we all know that people are constantly being jumped on the streets and being put into situations in which you have to fight and can't run away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're right, but if that's your attitude, then why do you care if the art you study is effective, and why do you spend so much effort ignorantly insulting other people for practicing arts you know nothing about? Just take up ballet or something.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're right, but if that's your attitude, then why do you care if the art you study is effective, and why do you spend so much effort ignorantly insulting other people for practicing arts you know nothing about? Just take up ballet or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I do think self-defense is legitimate, but I think some people grossly overestimate their chances of being attacked and the effectiveness of any martial art in the not unlikely scenario in which weapons are involved.

I'm not saying this is true of anyone in particular, but I've encountered some people in the martial arts world who have a grotesquely Hobbesian view of the world and seem to be paranoid at all times about being attacked (An example of the type of person I am talking about: A friend of mine was at BJJ class an about halfway through the power went. it was pitch black, so the instructor told everyone to go home, but one dude was like "C'mon lets roll! Its not always gonna be light out on the street!") But as you alluded to, if self-defense is really your number 1 priority, the best thing you can do is get a concealed weapon permit and work on your 100m dash time. Given the inredible amount of time and effort needed to become proficient in a fighting art, I think that studying a martial art more for self-defense and less for enjoyment is a waste of time.

Now that being said, I would say that training in an art that is effective for self-defense can enahnce one's enjoyment of the training, or at least it does for me. Although I know that in the majority of self-defense situations running away is the best self-defense, there is definitely a coolness factor for being able to dominate someone else in unarmerd combat.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:08 PM

IMO, the best self defense technique against street fights is to become a hell of a runner.

Aside from that, consider Thai Boxing. Elbows and knees can be pretty devastating and my guess is that they would be easily executed on someone who is not expecting it...