Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 03:07 AM

Default good rivercall?

I actually timed out in the actual hand for some reason, but my plan was check/call the river. My reasoning is he only valuebets 4 cards in the deck here. (Maybe AA... but probably not).

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 5 BB
Old 03-09-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: good rivercall?

hmm i dunno... probably -ev, hows the villain playing
Old 03-09-2007, 04:03 AM

it's also heads up FYI
Old 03-09-2007, 04:40 AM

it is heads up but whats he calling you down with here that you like? 9-10 or any two. Which means your banking on the fact that his plan was to call down and bluff river? Got a chance to chop with better jack but that flop is real ugly for someone in position heads up to just call with dirt. Any player reads??
Old 03-09-2007, 04:44 AM

i completely misread the hand. can see a call but he can be value betting more then 4 hands. like the fact pp is counterfitted although unlikely.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:45 AM

I think this is a good calldown if the villain is pretty aggressive. If you've played with him a while, you should be able to tell whether he'd bet 87 or 44 a third time here.

There are a lot of draws you could have and you might be willing to fold J high, so he has a lot of incentive to bet as a bluff...giving you a lot of incentive to call and snap off the bluff.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:51 AM

If your opponent is raising most hands h/u, then I would raise this flop. Even though the flop looks dangerous, if he's raising a wide range of hands then it still probably hasn't hit him... and even if it has you aren't that far behind. I could see your opponent laying down a small pair or A high here if you pop it.

Just my opinion...
Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 AM

Interesting hand.

I like sj's analysis and I think this is very player dependent.... but I like the level of thinking here.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your opponent is raising most hands h/u, then I would raise this flop. Even though the flop looks dangerous, if he's raising a wide range of hands then it still probably hasn't hit him... and even if it has you aren't that far behind. I could see your opponent laying down a small pair or A high here if you pop it.

Just my opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

I checkraise flop here sometimes, but a lot of HU players assume you have air or a draw when you raise flop. I get threebet with air frequently in these types of spots. Furthermore, I lot of people will call down rediculous stuff to a flop c/r if there is a flush draw out... like J hi or 22.

That being said, I like to mix up how I play the flush draws. I considered checkraising the turn, but being 3bet here just sucks.

My opponent wasn't great, but not bad (or really good?)enough to bet an ace on the river and hope for a J hi call.

Getting 5:1, I think he has a PP or two random cards way more than 1 in 6 times. Plus I think he'd hesitate for a split second with Qx on the river, just a timing thing you get a "sense" for. (also he might hesitate for a split second on the turn with Kx.) This guy wasn't an instabet guy, so I think it was a good call.

(turns out he had 87o)
Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 AM

--&gt; and he was mad I timed out because he was planning to bet river he said in the chat.