Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 04:51 AM

Default AK post flop ?

I started playing some of the 180 man tourneys on Stars. And am having a hard time folding AK post with out having huge amount of chips compared to the BB. In these situations I am always the aggressor either In position or Out.

After making the flop bet the pots usually get pretty big compared to your stack. Then when the turn comes its almost impossible to get away from your hand. Is there a certain number of BB you need to be able to fold in these spots?

I really know this is a situational question but I'm sure all of you have been in a spot where you are pretty sure you cant have the best hand but theres no way to fold since the pot has gotten big.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: AK post flop ?

Sounds like a tricky spot and I've been there many times too.

Push the flop rather than c-bet only to not want to fold?

2/3 flops miss them too.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Re: AK post flop ?

Without details is hard to say what you're doing wrong. My rule of thumb with flop bets is that if a flop bet / call I would normally make would leave me with less than half the pot size on the turn, I push/fold the flop.

My thinking is that with less than half the pot size I am probably getting odds to call the turn no matter what and I am not usually going to get my opponent to fold. I would rather give my opponent a chance to make a mistake now (whether that's a loose call or a weak fold) than give them another chance to play correctly.

I'm by no means an expert player, so don't take this as gospel or anything, but hopefully it either helps you with some situations, or a good player will come in and call me stupid.