Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Bad Brains - \"inspirational?\"

Why wasn't Bad Brains ever dubbed as "inspirational" music?

I was just listening to some old Bad Brains at work today (I was really into them in high school). Hearing many of the lyrics again, I realized they are all about rastafarianism. From what I understand of rastafarianism, it's very similar to christianty except that Jesus isn't their messiah. Their messiah is Haile Selassie, a former emporer of Ethiopia from the early 20th century. Wiki Entry

When it comes to christian inspirational music, I doubt many non-christians are fans. But with Bad Brains, they have all sorts of fans that aren't rastafarians.

Is it simply that most (all) christian inspirational music sucks in general or is it something else?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Bad Brains - \"inspirational?\"

Bad Brains was a kickass band but u could barely understand most of the lyrics anyway... I do think many christians would agree with some of the anti-gay lyrics in some Bad Brains songs
Old 02-23-2007, 04:27 PM

I liked some songs by the Orange County Supertones.... a Ska Core Christian band.

But what do you mean about Christian Inspirational Music?

As an atheist I appreciate Christian songs like:
[ QUOTE ]
I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
Well yes I'm still running

You broke the bonds and you
Loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
Of my shame
You know I believed it

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

[/ QUOTE ]

or

[ QUOTE ]
I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry
He brought me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay

I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song?
How long...how long...how long...
How long...to sing this song

He set my feet upon a rock
And made my footsteps firm
Many will see
Many will see and fear

How long...how long...how long...
How long...to sing this song

[/ QUOTE ]

All lyrics written by U2.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 PM

I'm not a big fan of U2 and aren't familiar with many of their songs, but I imagine one or two songs with religion in them is different than a majority of a given group's music.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big fan of U2 and aren't familiar with many of their songs, but I imagine one or two songs with religion in them is different than a majority of a given group's music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a huge U2 fan but my wife was and tells me they actually started as a Christian rock band and evolved into what they are.

I also think Matisyahu is pretty cool (though he's Orthodox Jew... I think he can cross over to Christian!)

I believe POD is also a Christian band with some huge commercial success. I've heard a few tracks of theirs (grungy rock with a reggae vibe) that was pretty cool.

Other rocking Christian Groups:
Creed (now defunct)
I understand Jars of Clay is popular with the kids (I'm getting to be an oldie so I haven't heard all of these)

others I've know have some cross over appeal but I haven't personally heard:
Reliant K

And from Wikipedia-
[ QUOTE ]
Many rock artists including U2, Dream Theater, Flyleaf, Lifehouse, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Creed, Sufjan Stevens, The White Stripes, King's X, Thrice, Evanescence, Coldplay and Blessid Union of Souls do not claim to be "Christian bands", but include members who openly profess to be Christians and at times may feature Christian thought, imagery, scripture or other influences in their music. Some of these bands, such as Creed, played up the spiritual content of their music and were widely considered a "Christian band" by the popular media, despite their later disavowals of the label. Some bands reject the label because they do not wish to exclusively attract Christian fans, or because they have been identified with another particular music genre, such as heavy metal or indie rock, and feel more creative kinship with members of that scene. Many bands have also ceased to be considered Christian rock upon achieving mainstream pop success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what my point is other then some Christians can write some good Christian music.

I remember singing a ska song from the OC Supertones. I thought I was singing a love song to a woman when I was only half way paying attention to the lyrics. I was talking to a friend who used to play trumpet in a ska band and I told him some ska bands I'd been listening to. When I mentioned the Supertones he says, "Oh, the Christian band?"

I was like, "What? No. Can't be."

Sure enough, they are. And then I really listened. I realized I'd been bouncing around my apartment singing my love to God and didn't even know it.

It was quite subversive. I felt quite cheated.

Oh... wanted to add... my wife loves Sixpence None the Richer. They're a Christian band but more famous for their cover songs (the La's "There She Goes" and Crowded Houses "Don't Dream its Over"). They draw you in with the cover then sneak in some messages about Jesus. Sneaky Christians.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:13 PM

What I gather from Kurto's post is that if the music is good/popular and religious, it gets tagged with a stylistic genre: Rock; Punk; whatever. And if it's total crap and religious, it gets tagged as "inspirational."

Anyone disagree?