Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Career: Financial Planner/Advisor

Has anyone ever worked as a financial planner/advisor or in financial services? Do these jobs suck? I'm a little skeptical about any job that says "no experience needed whatsoever." My job hunt is pretty pathetic and I'd appreciate any advice you have.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Career: Financial Planner/Advisor

Most of them are more sales jobs than anything else. Lots of cold calling and networking to get clients, and then generally pushing the products that provide the best commission rather than what the clients need.

That's assuming you're working for a reputable place like Edward Jones or Ameriprise. A "no experience needed" place is probably even more scummy.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Career: Financial Planner/Advisor

I am a financial planner at a boutique financial planning company. I was a career changer; I was working as a computer consultant and wanted to make the change. I began taking the classes to take the CFP (Certified Financial Planner) exam. After 2 classes, I responded to an ad in the paper for this job. I was hired with no work experience on a salary basis, and sales/cold calling had nothing to do with it. It was really a great match as this was really what I wanted to do, and I have been here 5 1/2 years.

So, I think there are good jobs for financial advisors / financial planners with independent RIA (registered investment advisors) that are not sales-type jobs.

Check the FPA (Financial Planning Association), and see if there is a local chapter close by. Find out when there monthly meetings are, and go to one. You might be able to go to the first one as a guest. (Actually, I can refer you to the FPA and I get something or other... - oops, conflict of interest. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) There is usually a networking component of all of the FPA meetings. Also tell the board members you are looking for work; they may know who needs to hire.

Also, I think you can look on the FPA's website for job listings.

If you can find the name of RIAs near you, you can get very interesting information on them from the SEC's web site link, click Investment Adviser Search, or from the company's website. You might try contact the company, speaking with the president, and asking if they are hiring.

Good luck,

-Tom