Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Russ Fox - i think one of your \"myths\" is incorrect

Myth #12. The IRS can’t share information from my tax return with other government agencies because of the “Silver Platter” doctrine. Another falsehood. As noted above, the IRS routinely shares information with state tax agencies. In Garner v. United States (424 U.S. 648 (1976)) the Court held that the occupation listed on a tax return can be shared. If you are foolish enough to list your occupation on your tax return as “illegal drug dealer,” the IRS can forward your name to other law enforcement agencies.

Russ - this is misleading. Isnt it true that the IRS can only share if you incriminate yourself, thereby waving your 5th amendment rights? So if i list on my tax return: "gambling income", the IRS cant share the info, even if they audit me and realize it's all offshore gambling (and assuming that offshore gambling is illegal).

However, if my tax return says "illegal offshore gambling income", then the IRS *can* turn over the info.

Thoughts?