Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

If you were to gather up a group of people lets say 100 random, that believe that there is no God and that we evolved and that when we die we just go in the ground and it's the end. Why wouldnt they just kill themselves?

They wouldn't feel bad about leaving the ones they know cause they wouldn't feel anything anymore, it would be no consequence to them.

I know some may have fun lives so ok, theres a case for not, but what about the majority group who have sucky jobs, living paycheck to paycheck, health problems, ugly, small dicks, cant get laid, depression, paying child support to kids they dont even know, or a million other possiblities that life freaking sucks to wake up to every morning.

Why not just end your life if it doesnt matter, and since there is no after life and you just would cease to exist forever, there would be no consequence.

I think the answer is that a majority of these people deep down have a fear just like those who do believe in God that our choices do matter and the what if factor. What if I kill myself and I end up being judged for it by Jesus Christ, etc.

Just curious is all, sorry if my grammer isnt perfect, me no paya attencion in english classe.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

so when you go to the movies, and you know that the movie is only 2 hours long, why not just leave before the movie starts? i mean, the movie might suck, right?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

wouldn't it make more sense to kill yourself if you thought there was a better afterlife waiting for you?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yoursel

So wait...your life is just a long wait to die?

lol Christianityments
Old 02-19-2007, 04:32 PM

1. If I knew that movie was gonna be possible years long and have lots of painful moments and boring parts that there would be no purpose to endure, then yes.

2. If you beieve in an after-life then a basic moral principle would be to get their naturally cause anything unnatural would be wrong.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:33 PM

we have some new guy start a thread like this every month it seems.

why would someone who can live forever after death appreciate this life more than a person who knows that this is the only one that they will get?

if you are suffering and are quite sure that you will continue to suffer, then I see no reason why suicide wouldn't be a fine option...but most people aren't continually suffering...

[ QUOTE ]
I know some may have fun lives so ok, theres a case for not, but what about the majority group who have sucky jobs, living paycheck to paycheck, health problems, ugly, small dicks, cant get laid, depression, paying child support to kids they dont even know, or a million other possiblities that life freaking sucks to wake up to every morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you made happy by drinking your morning coffee? by making money to buy other things that make you happy? by seeing your spouse or children?..these are all "reasons to get up in the morning."..and these are all prevalent in most people's lives, not just the very well off.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the answer is that a majority of these people deep down have a fear just like those who do believe in God that our choices do matter and the what if factor. What if I kill myself and I end up being judged for it by Jesus Christ, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how poeple with no inkling of an afterlife where they would be judged kept from killing themselves?

a tendency to commit suicide...be it at the gene level OR the meme...would not last very long..I'm sure you see why.

when I look at a cheesesteak..my brain tells me that I want to take a bite, not that I should kill myself since it won't matter anyway.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. If you beieve in an after-life then a basic moral principle would be to get their naturally cause anything unnatural would be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

so do you believe that there is no way to go to heaven if you commit suicide?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:38 PM

5 years ago i'd agree that maybe i had some fear deep down. i completely don't now that i've believed what I do for longer, and i don't even remember what its like to care about that kindof thing.

I don't kill myself because i enjoy life, and i don't want to hurt those around me. I think the main reason people who are down on their luck don't kill themself is because A. dying is a scary because it is painful, irreversable, and unknown. B. we are naturally hopeful that we will get some semblance of enjoyment out of life that is better than conceding defeat that you suck at life.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So wait...your life is just a long wait to die?

lol Christianityments

[/ QUOTE ]

Im saying that it doesnt matter what I feel about it, it would be morally wrong to end whatever I have instored for the future. For someone who doesnt believe, it wouldnt be.

LOL at Athiestments
Old 02-19-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5 years ago i'd agree that maybe i had some fear deep down. i completely don't now that i've believed what I do for longer, and i don't even remember what its like to care about that kindof thing.

I don't kill myself because i enjoy life, and i don't want to hurt those around me. I think the main reason people who are down on their luck don't kill themself is because A. dying is a scary because it is painful, irreversable, and unknown. B. we are naturally hopeful that we will get some semblance of enjoyment out of life that is better than conceding defeat that you suck at life.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fair response with some good points, nice to see at least one. Like not quitting a poker table cause you may start getting that rush of hands your due. I can totally see that mentality keeping a guy living.