Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 11:17 PM

Default nuts on river vs drawing villain - to lead or not to lead

villain is a 40/20/2 type and got his nice fat stack by 3betting KK allin preflop and getting called by AJ and AK and tripling through...

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $25
CO: $98.53
Button: $8.10
SB: $38.45
Matrix: $75.90

Pre-flop: (5 players) Matrix is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Matrix checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Matrix bets $0.75</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, Matrix calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($5, 2 players)
Matrix checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $4</font>, Matrix calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($13, 2 players)
Matrix ???

comments on line so far??

what range has villain got and what should I do on this river?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: nuts on river vs drawing villain - to lead or not to lead

Hopefully you look like someone drawing to the diamond flush and he is not someone drawing to the diamond flush.

Another check might be in order, but actually if we are going to get cute, why not go for the busted draw tries to bluff and bet 6$ or something like that in the hope of a reraise ??

This doesn't look like a situation, where you will earn much unless he has a Q

But frankly I really dunno what is best here ???

Edit, with regards to range it is wide, I am guessing he has two pair of some sort unless he has two diamonds ... very open hand.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:34 PM

You have to c/r this turn. Build a pot here man, raise turn to $14, then lead river for about 3/4 pot-PSB, direct route to valuetown. As played, that card probably just killed your action, I'd lead for $10. On the turn he's gonna play JT like the nuts so put some money in.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:50 AM

i agree with barry but i make a smaller bet on the river.....maybe it looks weak and i get raised
Old 02-19-2007, 01:54 AM

There needs to be more money put in on the turn IMO. You have the nuts, and are deep. This is a great situation for a c/r. If he doesnt call you arent getting much out of him anyway.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:58 AM

I vote for the raise on the turn. As played, I bet smallish and hope I get a call by a busted draw with overs or even get raised by some 2pair or set.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:08 AM

AAHHHH! Lead or c/r that turn, flat calling is teh suck. Don't you want to build a big pot with the nuts? If he has the flush draw, you want to bet/raise for value and protection. If not, you want to bet/raise to get more value, and to get money into the pot before the river has a chance to kill your action (in the case of this river here, or another diamond). As played, this is a weird spot, and there are a ton of things you could do here. You could check (risky), hoping to get in a check-raise (if he bets anything substantial, I love a c/r all-in), you could lead out weakly and hope to get raised (lead for $6-7, shove to a raise), or you could go for the big move and overbet shove. Of these, I like the small lead the best. If still gets value from a lot of two pair type hands that would just check behind or fold to a big bet, and might look weak enough to get raised by a set or a busted flush draw.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:50 AM

This is probably the only spot where a c/r on the turn is my semi-automatic play.
He has shown strength by raising your flop bet, so there's a good chance he either has a hand that he likes a lot, or that he might think you're trying "to get even" for his flop raise and thus will take a not-so-great hand too deep.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:45 AM

I c/r turn, fdraw still live.
Then open shove rest on river, if he calls the turn raise he is more likely to hold a queen. Hope he's got one and stacks off to your higher str8. This is my standard 100bbs approach - problem is your deep so I would c/raise turn and then pot river, he might raise us on the river and reopen betting so less on the river[1/2] may be more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Pushing river sounds v good.

IMO, with 4 to the straight here you'll find it very hard to extract a decent amount of money out of him, if he hasn't got the straight. So I'd rather push and get called say 1 time in 6 because I think it'll maximise profits in this situation.