Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Need a ruling on this

Last night I'm visiting a new game. NL no rebuys no add on tourney. Blinds are 50/100 and started at 5/10 increasing every 15 min. Started with 8 players and we're down to 4. I'm BB.

Afer the deal preflop, player to my left folds. I turn around to grab a tube of pringles. When I turn back, SB mucks (I did not see dealers action). I look around the table and the only chips on the table are the 50 from the SB that just folded and my 100 BB. So I turned over my K,3 OS and grabbed the SB. Dealer asked what the hell I am doing. I said you all folded. He said no, I never got a chance to act. I said, yes you did. You're the dealer, he (person to my right and to the left of the dealer) posted SB, I posted BB, he (person to my left) folded and then you were next to act. Everyone folded so I win the pot. He said SB acted out of turn and that he (dealer) never acted. Then he shows me his pocket Kings. OUCH. I gave him 150 (SB plus BB) but he was steamed and said if he had raised he would have won more. I said if you had raised I would have folded and you would have won exactly what I just gave you. Now if he had simply called and a 3 or K hit the board, I'm probably calling a pot sized bet. But we never got that far. How is this supposed to be played?
Old 02-17-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Need a ruling on this

Game doesn't seem so friendly to me if somebody is getting upset over a common mistake. If this happened at a game I go to probably just give him the blinds and nobody would get too upset.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:28 PM

Dealer gets a KITN for not controlling the game. As soon as the SB mucked, he should have said "time". Not sure if you technically have the option of playing your hand, but I'd allow it. Proper dealer response is "aw crap" not "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?!?"
Old 02-17-2007, 03:59 PM

I'd say you exposed your hand so it was mucked. If you'd had AA would he be arguing to play it out?

Pringles are the devil. I don't allow them at my home game for this very reason ;-)
Old 02-18-2007, 06:05 PM

I believe your hand should still play. You can get a time penalty or warning about exposing your hand during play.

So your hand is live and the button gets to act. He knows your hand so you go from there. Once he shows his cards (another mistake) you're both playing with knowledge of each others hands. At this point he might as well raise and you just fold so the end result is the same.

One question though - During all this conversation about position, who mucked, and so on where where the buttons cards that you couldn't or didn't see them?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One question though - During all this conversation about position, who mucked, and so on where where the buttons cards that you couldn't or didn't see them?

[/ QUOTE ]

When the players at this table mucked, they rarely threw their cards to the middle of the table. They just sort of pushed them a couple of inches without saying anything. The buttons cards were in front of the deck he was dealing from. But all I really looked for was chips on the table. After SB folded, only my BB and his SB were on the table. SB DID toss his cards to the middle of the table but the first guy to fold (to my left) just pushed his cards 2 inches forward. When I say SB muck, I assumed everyone had folded. Just one of those weird coincidences where everything lined up against me. I did not see the buttons action (or lack thereof)because I was not looking at the table, SB folds out of turn and I flip my cards over (I rarely do that!) AND button has pocket Kings. Someone figure out the odds of all those things happening at once...
Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Your hand is dead he wins the blinds, next hand.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:15 PM

Dealer gets the 150 and two kicks in the nuts- first one for not controlling action on his dealing hand (where was the "Stop!" warning after SB folded?)..

and the second, harder one for his [censored] comment about raising.

You did fine- just remember to check that the action IS complete before exposing your hand and collecting the pot.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is dead he wins the blinds, next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't rule BB's hand dead here, if he could get the cards back.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Tell him it was an accident. You didn't do it on purpose and he's lucky you didn't draw out on him. If he was still upset I would maybe ask him if he had a Waaaa-mburger and french cries for lunch and washed it down with an ice cold whine-iken. Then say you're just kidding and offer to get up and get him a tissue.

Don't show crappy hands in the big blind even if everybody folded to you. Your garbage will be in everybody's head and you wont get very many gifts like that afterward. Preventative measures.

G O N E F O R E V E R