Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 12:18 AM

Default What\'s the scam here?

So i was going to sell a camera on craigslist and this is the only reply i get. what the fack.

Hello John,

Sorry for the late reply i never knew it would take me this long to reply you. i was out a training so i wasnt able to reach you. Please Understand me.

I am from Utah and also a Football Coach residing in London .
Am still in State now for break, but will soon be leaving back to England to resume work.

The Canon Camera is for my son's birthday present that traveled to spend time with his Mum where she works in the US consulate office in West Africa, because of his litle research .

I'll be paying you through Storm-pay Online Money Order. it's secure and protects two parties in a transaction. I will like you to provide the below requirements in your reply for me to send it to storm-pay Office for payment before you ship it.

Full Name:
Full contact address

All this information should be provided correctly to avoid wrong payment.

I will forward my wife residential address to you for shipping as soon as the payment reaches you.

I will be very grateful to hear from you soonest.

Warm regards,

Williams.

NB: I will be paying you $120 for both the cost price and the shipping fee
Old 02-16-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: What\'s the scam here?

sounds completely legit
Old 02-16-2007, 12:27 AM

nothing odd here
Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 AM

I've gotten this same message (or variation of it) a few times, people wanting to buy someone a gift and promising later payment. However, if he is promising payment BEFORE you sell it, it is probably fine. Make sure you get paid first, the payment is legit and secure, and you should be fine.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 AM

Keep in my mind i never even corresponed with this person and this is the reply i got.

Also, the same person responded to another add i posted.

Storm pay also apparently has been involved in alot of scams apparently. It might not even be in business anymore.

I guess they are just trying to snag a free camera i dont know.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've gotten this same message (or variation of it) a few times, people wanting to buy someone a gift and promising later payment. However, if he is promising payment BEFORE you sell it, it is probably fine. Make sure you get paid first, the payment is legit and secure, and you should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, nothing at all can go wrong here. I see no problems whatsoever with this. I don't understand why people are so untrusting of random people in Africa wanting to buy their craigslist goods.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:48 AM

whats there angle here though?

try to get some banking information from me? or just trying to get free stuff and not pay for it.

Does not seem to make sense. It probably really would not be worth the trouble to get a used camera sent to africa. I assume they are just trying to get information through the money order thing.

I cant beleive anyone would seriously beleive this email. They could at least have a better story and use better english. Alot of misused misspelled words in another email i sent im thinking english is not their first language.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, nothing at all can go wrong here. I see no problems whatsoever with this. I don't understand why people are so untrusting of random people in Africa wanting to buy their craigslist goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I never responded to the messages when I got them, I assume there is something up. I should have made it more clear that I wouldn't go through with it but if you really want to try it, just make sure you get your money and are able to access it before you mail anything.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:54 AM

Nah no chance in hell im dealing with these people.

Something is probably up with the money order they want to use.

I think they just post variations of this same email to random people or every person who post somethign in a particular city.

Just kind of odd never considered dealing with them at all.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:17 AM

lol dont listen to these guys obv joking. i was trying to sell my deck and speakers on craigslist got the same weird as reply as you did. looked it up on the internet these are scams to lazy to explain