Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Importance of English soccer competitions

How do the English clubs rank the various competitions in terms of which one they want to win the most?

My guess would be: Premiership>Champions League>FA Cup>Carling Cup.

But I defer to those more knowledgable in the area.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Importance of English soccer competitions

Champions League >>> Premiership > FA Cup >>> Carling Cup
Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks about right, though I think some would argue the FA Cup>Premiership. I happen to think that they are close.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this, and i do think the premiership is more valuable than the FA cup. i think maybe a little more emphasis on how much more the CL means than the others, even though the other day Mourinho called the CL a crapshoot and said chelsea wasnt too concerned with it.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the first three, but the gap back to the Carling cup IMO is larger than the gap between the CL and Premiership.

Also, you should add the UEFA Cup:
CL >>> Premiership > FA Cup = UEFA Cup >>>> Carling Cup

Something like that. Some would argue that there should be a gap between FA Cup and UEFA Cup but I'm inclined to disagree.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the first three, but the gap back to the Carling cup IMO is larger than the gap between the CL and Premiership.

Also, you should add the UEFA Cup:
CL >>> Premiership > FA Cup = UEFA Cup >>>> Carling Cup

Something like that. Some would argue that there should be a gap between FA Cup and UEFA Cup but I'm inclined to disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about it I think the gap back to the FA Cup and UEFA Cup should be larger.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:35 AM

Depends to a large extent whether the team in question has won the league recently. If a team has been dominant in the league for a few years the fans and players might start to prioritize the CL but if a team hasn’t won the league recently then it’s the league. The Uefa Cup has been devalued by allowing teams in from the Intertoto and the fairplay league and giving CL losers a second chance in the latter stages. The Carling Cup Is now treated as a reserve torment by the big teams and with so many teams involved in Europe it’s becoming a nuisance that I'm sure managers would like to be able to opt out of.
League>CL>>>FA>>UEFA>>> >CC
Old 02-17-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends to a large extent whether the team in question has won the league recently. If a team has been dominant in the league for a few years the fans and players might start to prioritize the CL but if a team hasn’t won the league recently then it’s the league. The Uefa Cup has been devalued by allowing teams in from the Intertoto and the fairplay league and giving CL losers a second chance in the latter stages. The Carling Cup Is now treated as a reserve torment by the big teams and with so many teams involved in Europe it’s becoming a nuisance that I'm sure managers would like to be able to opt out of.
League>CL>>>FA>>UEFA>>> >CC

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about this last night as well.

The UEFA Cup value especially goes down for the top teams because it means they sucked in the CL and get a second chance there. For middle of the pack teams, though I think it's as big as the FA Cup, though you are right that it has been devalued. Still, at least in the later stages it's a good competition.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Carling Cup Is now treated as a reserve torment by the big teams and with so many teams involved in Europe it’s becoming a nuisance that I'm sure managers would like to be able to opt out of.

[/ QUOTE ] Wenger seems to enjoy having it, but thats probably because Arsenal actually have valuable young players. Plus I think Mourinho wants to win it really bad this year. He plans on using his starters for the final against an Arsenal squad mixed with young and experienced players.

I think the relative rank of each competition varies from year to year for each team. Its heavily dependent on current league standing as well as current competition standings.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:09 AM

Much wrongness in here. It goes

Premiership > Champion's League >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t; FA Cup >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>League Cup

Althought it's interesting to note the the Premier League and CL switch places depending on past success. Chelsea want the CL more than the title because they've won the title twice while as a United fan I want the title back more than another CL win. I ranked PL over CL in normal circumstances because it is impossible to fluke the season but almost every year a team other than the best in Europe wins the CL.

It's almost as if you have to hold the title and then win the CL. Otherwise you get no respect as Liverpool proved by wininng it despite having a terrible season. Yes it got praised but it's pretty much considered a fluke win.