Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: what is the deal with aceshigh?
he's a homering douche, ban him 8 36.36%
he's a homering douche, ban him if he keeps it up 3 13.64%
he's a homering douche, he's dead like but hasn't done anything meriting banning 5 22.73%
he's a homering douche, but he's not as bad as dead 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Leak or not a leak?

(feel free to add more)

In the following scenarios, the table is full of three non-tricky nothing-specials but average hand readers for MSNL (24/8ish'es), and two fish stations. You run about 18/14 and while respected you get looked up more than you'd like.

Scenario #1
You are the SB and the action is folded to the button who open limps. You raise 4x with a wide range of good hands, pretty much anything you would have opened with in the CO. You virtually never limp.

---

Scenario #2

You are in the BB with uncoordinated, low garbage. One player open limps, and the SB completes OR its folded to the SB who open limps into you. You almost always raise 4-5xBB here, and fire a 2/3 cbet on every HU flop, while giving up 3way.

---

Scenario #3

With A2s through A9s in the CO or Button, and one or more limpers in front of you, and no particularly laggy players in the blinds or button, you almost always limp in. Your reasoning is that a raise knocks out random suited trash of your suit that you can likely stack given the players at the table, who in fact do like to limp in with suited trash and chase flushes.

---
Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Leak or not a leak?

I think #1 is generally bad, assuming button will call your raise a decent amount and play decently strong after the flop (ie not just fit or fold). Against a weak button though who gives up easy after the flop though it's probably okay. I think never limping is dumb. There's a lot of hands that are worth seeing for half a bet, but not worth bloating the pot OOP.

#2, basically the same as #1.

#3 is fine.

I think this is kind of dumb though. I'm sure any PF raise/cbet combo is +EV in isolation against the right opponents. From an overall strategy perspective though you obviously can't do this every hand, because people will adapt and start playing back at you, so you have to balance these moves with the rest of your game. I prefer making these moves in position as opposed to out of the blinds.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 PM

theyre all leaks
Old 02-14-2007, 12:42 AM

scenario 2 doesn't make much sense. Having a limper and a SB limper while you are in the BB is WAY different than just having the SB limp in solo.

Probably all leaks, #3 is marginal I guess, probably not going to win or cost you much in the long run.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:36 AM

(bumping to see more votes)

Although it looks onesided. *Poof* goes my blinds aggression. Thanks for the input and it looks like my HUD stats are going to fall to something like 14/9.

There were one or two other scenarios which I would like to add later in the afternoon when Im done my day.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of hands that are worth seeing for half a bet, but not worth bloating the pot OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, #1 isnt about playing a pot, its about taking it down right then and there.

Say the button limps for $4, now there is $10 in the pot. If you fire an additional $16 onto your $2, you have to take it down two out of three times to show a profit even if you give up and never win that third time. My impression is that this is a reasonable expectation.

Similar logic applies to #2, where I feel Im taking a hand with 0 EV, a garbage hand OOP that will never, ever win a pot, and turning into +EV, plus adding aggro to the image.

Make sense, or still certainly a leak?