Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Interesting tell...

Was playing a hand lastnight in my local cardroom. I had been fairly tight and villain here was okay but generally aggressive.
I verbally declare a raise preflop (AJo) and say "six thousand". The villain calls in the blinds. After the flop (all low cards), villain checks and then I verbally declare "six" and bet out six thousand. Villain thinks and goes all in.

At the time, I didnt think much of it and thought it was just as likely because I only bet half the pot that he jammed it but I heard him chatting at the other end of the table to a guy next to him saying he picked up the tell from the fact that I had used the word thousand before the flop and then not afterwards.

Not a tell I've heard of before but is this a common thing? I didn't know I was doing it. In fact sometimes I just say one word like "six" even when I have something just because it's easier.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Interesting tell...

It may or may not be a tell, even inconsistency might not mean anything on your part....but it sure as hell might mean something to an opponent and how they choose to interpret [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I had a guy last week at the Hard Rock make a marginal call on me based on the way I took a drink from my cup, he even went so far as to openly ask his buddy if he caught the same "tell."

Funny thing though, the reason it was different, was becasue the cup was nearly empty and I nearly swallowed a piece of ice....I want him making those kinda calls based on that kinda info ALL DAY long [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just be aware and be consistent, unless you think you can manipulate your opponent.

We judge oursleves based on our actions and others judge us based on their perceptions.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:02 AM

I think the tell depends on your actions earlier in the game or if you had played with him before. It may have been the way you said it or your body language thereafter.

With that said, some people like to sound a lot smarter then they really are after they make a play on someone and it works out.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:36 AM

It's a pity I didn't get a chance to use it again and c-bet the flop with the nuts and just say "six" !

It just surprised me as it's not a known tell that I've read about or heard of before. I can see how it might mean that I had nothing and, as you say, it's more likely that I said it with a change of voice or threw my chips in slightly differently but who knows...
Old 03-02-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It just surprised me as it's not a known tell that I've read about or heard of before.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's known. It's just not very reliable. It kinda falls into the series of betting tells, like how far out you set your chips, whether you stack them or splash them, whether you clean up a stack if you fumble a bit setting 'em out, whether you speak before or during the bet or just silently bet, and what you say and how loud you say it as you bet. For some people these things are tells, while for many people these things are just random perturbations.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It kinda falls into the series of betting tells, like how far out you set your chips, whether you stack them or splash them, whether you clean up a stack if you fumble a bit setting 'em out, whether you speak before or during the bet or just silently bet, and what you say and how loud you say it as you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you care to expand on any of these?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It kinda falls into the series of betting tells, like how far out you set your chips, whether you stack them or splash them, whether you clean up a stack if you fumble a bit setting 'em out, whether you speak before or during the bet or just silently bet, and what you say and how loud you say it as you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you care to expand on any of these?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

read mike caro's book of tells
Old 03-02-2007, 11:20 AM

Yes, but in there he says that an exaggerated bet, where you splash your chips, implies a bluff.
When I bet I splash my chips on purpose, all forward so they fall like dominoes on the cloth. It doesn't mean I'm bluffing all the time. I think the higher reliability tells come in conjunction with bet sizes.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:26 AM

I don't think it's a tell, and the guy's kidding himself. He made a good read, but not because of that.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:28 AM

I think it's interesting that both of the opponents in threads below talked about how they bagged a tell, then go on to elaborate.

Not only am i not sure these guys picked up on anything, it's pretty obvious they're too fishy to keep their damn traps shut.