Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Luck in fighting

how much luck is there in fighting? How often does it happen that a skilled fighter gets knocked out or submitted by a very inferior opponent?

In other words, if Crocop and Sanchez fought 100 times, how many times would Sanchez win? (assuming Sanchez didn;t have permanent brain damage, etc. by their fourth fight
Old 02-07-2007, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Luck in fighting

I don't really have a clue what the percentage is you are looking for. I do think luck probably shows up most when it comes to cuts, though. One lucky punch/elbow/kick/knee, etc and a dominating fighter will bleed all over the place and lose due to a stoppage. That's the only reason that Fedor has 1 loss. He lost when an unnoticed illegal elbow busted his head open 17 seconds into a fight.

Video
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 AM

I think it definitely ahs an impact. I couldn't find a video, but Randy's slip in his last match against Chuck is a pretty good example of luck having a factor in a match.

Ray
Old 02-07-2007, 03:34 PM

I dont think you'll find any reliable numbers but the point is that it happens. That no fighter, no matter how dominant, can win 100%. Randy's slip... a lucky strike leading to a bad cut, even a flash knockout... it all happens.

"It's why they actually play the game..."

Cro cop v Sanchez replayed 100 times in some sort of time space loop... I think Sanchez wins a handful... catches Mirko with the perfect hit, Cro cop slips, etc... < 10 but of course theres no way to prove that thats just my opinion.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:54 PM

I remember when Oliver McCall knocked out Lennox Lewis in their first fight. He was a luckbox and then the next fight he cried and the ref finally stopped the fight cause McCall wouldnt fight back and was just crying.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much luck is there in fighting? How often does it happen that a skilled fighter gets knocked out or submitted by a very inferior opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two pop into my mind immediately.

* CroCop v. Randleman I: The best striker in MMA gets caught with his hands down. If they fought 10 times, Randleman would only win once. It just happened to be this time. http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/searc...s-randleman-ufc

Sakuraba v. Schembri: Sak has a reputation for wanting to give fans a "show". Meaning that he'll sometimes not finish an opponent as fast as he could, so as not to dissapoint his fans with a short fight. I have no idea how true that allegation is. But in this fight, Sak was winning pretty easily. He let his guard down for a second and got kneed into a loss. This is even more of an upset. If they fough 100 times, Sak wins 99 of them.
http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/searc...s-randleman-ufc

EDIT: Never noticed the headbutt in the Sak fight before. (Nino accidentally hedbutts Sak just before he gets Sak in the Thai clinch. That could provide some explanation.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two pop into my mind immediately.

* CroCop v. Randleman I: The best striker in MMA gets caught with his hands down. If they fought 10 times, Randleman would only win once. It just happened to be this time. http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/searc...s-randleman-ufc

Sakuraba v. Schembri: Sak has a reputation for wanting to give fans a "show". Meaning that he'll sometimes not finish an opponent as fast as he could, so as not to dissapoint his fans with a short fight. I have no idea how true that allegation is. But in this fight, Sak was winning pretty easily. He let his guard down for a second and got kneed into a loss. This is even more of an upset. If they fough 100 times, Sak wins 99 of them.
http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/searc...s-randleman-ufc

EDIT: Never noticed the headbutt in the Sak fight before. (Nino accidentally hedbutts Sak just before he gets Sak in the Thai clinch. That could provide some explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think both these links are to the same thing. did Cro Cop ever get a rematch?

I always wonder about the luck factor, prob we do this especially cause were poker players
Old 02-08-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think both these links are to the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops! Here's the Sakuraba match I was talking about:
http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/searc...antonio-schembr

[ QUOTE ]
did Cro Cop ever get a rematch?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/searc...kevin-randleman
Old 02-12-2007, 08:38 AM

Luck has always struck me as mattering a good amount. I don't know how many times I've been sparring and slipped; that's all it takes.