Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Help with LIMIT Omaha 10/20

I recently came across and now play weekly in a mixed 10/20 private game consisting of an orbit each of LH, Omaha High, and O8.

The players are loose and horrible. The dealer referred to the game (privately, to me) as "Donk City." (And no, I'm not telling you where it is.)

This should be an easy game, but I've never played limit omaha. It is dangerous for me to play there because I have so little respect for my opponents that I sometimes get overly aggressive and I get drawn out on by one of the seven or so players that call my PFR with AA24 in O8 (for example) and then call to the river.

How would you best exploit this situation? My working strategy is to play slightly more open than usual (perhaps 40% of flops) and push any advantage I get hard. Do you think that my perfomance would instead be maximized by tightening up?

Also, what hands should I be looking to play in a wide-open game of limit omaha high? What hands are premium against 7 or 8 to the flop, and what hands are acceptable to play? Where should I limit my starting hands?

I appreciate any replies.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Help with LIMIT Omaha 10/20

I think limit would make me want to stab myself.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:26 AM

Play hands with multiple ways of making a nut hand, particularly nut fullhouses and and nut flushes. Hands like A1098 with a suited ace and the ability to flop a wrap are always worth playing. Jam draws that give you 9 or more outs to making the nuts. Avoid hands that have pairs below ten in them as their best feature. Usually muck your weak flush draws and two pairs on the flop, as these aren't where you are making your money. If you are good at dumping deceptively strong hands on the flop you can open up your preflop range more, but really just playing tight ABC poker should beat this game for a nice winrate.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think limit would make me want to stab myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot poker in the eye here.

OP, Post flop, I would just treat it like a PLO game where everyone was just betting real small on the flop. You should be getting priced in for a lot of draws that you might otherwise be shut out of.

As far as starting hands, etc. I'd play slightly tighter than table average or any of your marks.

Play some poker, use your brain, devise strategy on the fly to take their money.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:21 AM

Indeed: the text message I sent to my wife last week during the game said "I'm going to stab myself in the eyeball with an icepick."

In this limit omaha high segment, I do get priced into lots of nut draws. With 5 callers to the turn, I often find myself calling 8 or 9 outs to the nuts. (Not to mention the wraps and superwraps and other hands you might call anyway in PLO.) This is great because of all the dead money -- and the implied odds are awesome because when I hit I'm getting paid by 3 or 4 of them as well. But it's really painful (like it was last week) when none of the draws are hitting and one of the 6 callers makes a hand. (If I am exaggerating, it isn't by much. This is pretty much how it is.)

Should I be in these kinds of hands in the first place? How liberal should I be about seeing flops? Is it a leak that I am seeing 40% of flops? Basically, I've been playing any suited ace, high pairs, and at least 3 connected cards. Some of the weaker hands I played were (for example) A578s, 3468, 9986s, 35QQds ... lots of junk that I would never play if I feared my opponents, or even the prospect of a PFR. If anything, I think the situation warrants seeing MORE flops. The problem with that is that at some point you turn into one of them.

Should I just treat top set on the flop as a drawing hand and stop pushing it? Or should I bet it on the come with 10 outs to the nut boat? I sure seem to be getting implied odds to justify.

Maybe I'm just spooked because I was "unlucky" last week. I won 3 pots in 5 hours. It's just that I can't help but believe that it was me. I've never played limit omaha, and I hate it. But there's no reason why I shouldn't destroy this game.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are good at dumping deceptively strong hands on the flop you can open up your preflop range more ..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give me an example of dumping such a hand? Maybe I'm overplaying crappy draws or when I flop top 2 or a set.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:55 AM

Rule No. 1 in near full ring limit Omaha Hi game: bluffing is bad, especially against bad players.

More to come... but yes, ring omaha limit is probably one of the most mechanical games out there.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:55 AM

The problem with playing any suited Ace in a loose LO game is that, unless you opponents are exceptionally stupid, you don't have the implied odds to call pre-flop because you won't get the nut flush very often and you won't win a particularily large pot when you do (you can't bet more than 1 or 2 big bets and who is going to raise you?). The same basic logic applies to other non-coordinated hands.

You should therefore tighten up because your profits will come from the hands where you'll have a multitude of ways to get the nuts (since you're going to need the nuts in just about any respectable pot). You shouldn't have to tighten up all that much, just be sure to dump just about any 2 or 3 card hand.

Simple ABC poker is the best strategy here because the best way to win at poker is to play exactly one level above your opponents. Since it seems they're playing at the zeroth level, just play at the first.

Oh, and mentally prepare yourself for the miriad of suckouts that you'll fall victem to.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and mentally prepare yourself for the miriad of suckouts that you'll fall victem to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget this crap. LIimit omaha's most profitable hands=sucking out and making the nut in a multiway pot~~~ (which you raised on flop and turn as money favorite)

Look to suckout! it makes you feel MIGHTY GOOD YO
Old 02-11-2007, 03:02 AM

let's say you hold 3489. flop drops 892... you bet, and there is action behind, it's good time to bail. even if you're best here, chances of being best by the river is somewhere in the neighborhood of zip.