Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Advice needed - adapt from FR to 5-6 Max w/ DEEP STACKS

Dear all, I need some advice on adapting to 5Max from FR.

Question: please advice on DS NL strategy adaptation for short handed play.

My current DS FR play:
I now play only deep stack full ring (usually 5-6 stacks are 200+ BBs). I dare say I do it rather well (have read the new Sklansky over and over - understand most of it ok). I play very positional and essentially trying to see cheap flops and win huge pots with little crap cards like 97s and worse. Calling small preflop raises (<5BB) in position and often making smallish preflop raises (3-4BB) from the CO and button if I can expect other deep stacks to stay in blinds or OOP. (this small pfr size of course also includes big hands like KK/AA). I loose a ton of small pots, but take down some monsters. I often call flops in pos with any small piece of it, and I love to semibluff push strong draws against "good" players on turn.
I essentially win by manipulating pot size - big pots in pos with unlikely hands - small pots with vulnerable TP stuff.

In deep FR, I tend to play rather loose, though I dont cope well with the frequent shorts stacks - the pay off for playing my sneaky 75o etc is too low if some SS often bets flop and scares away my deep targets...

But now I want to try my "luck" att short handed (5-max). The main reason being that I want to play more hands in position against deep fish.

What is a "good" VPI to aim for?

Any suggestions - perhaps adopting an ultra tight game UTG and in the blinds (say only PP/AK/Axs) and playing something like 50% of hands on the button - a little less in CO?

(50% button, 40% CO would provide ca 10+8=18% to VPI in 5-handed)
?

Thanx,
zal3
Old 02-08-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Advice needed - adapt from FR to 5-6 Max w/ DEEP STACKS

Adapt to your opponent, thats all I can say. What your asking for is super general. But the two general ideas are, adapt to your opponent, and try to always play with position.