Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Moving to the US

Helpfully OOT will be able to help me out on this. I'm looking for advice on how to move to the US permanently (or at least for a year), and was wondering what my options are. Some relevant background info about me:

I'm 24 years old, unmarried, european born and an EU passport holder. I graduated with a BSC in computer science a year ago from a reputable university, and have been working in that field ever since. My criminal record is completely clean. Nobody in my immediate family is US born or now holds citizenship. I'm looking to leave my home country, probably for good, so i would be seeking citizenship. I've lived twice in states for 4-5 month periods on student visas, both of which passed without incident.

ANY help on the following would be very appreciated:

What are my best options for moving to the states with a visa that allows me to work?
How hard is it to get?
How long does the whole process take?
I've heard about getting sponsorship to work there? What is this, and whats involved for both myself and the company?
I know some european members on here are doing research work in US colleges. How did this happen, and what are roughly the terms of your visa? Does it cost you anything to participate?

I'm sure more questions will come to me, but answers to any of these would be a huge help.