Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 04:43 AM

Default NL50--1 Card Bottom End Straight Getting 3:1

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed)

SB has only been at table for 17 hands and is 16/13/hi

SB ($36.95)
BB ($12.95)
Hero ($31.90)
MP ($6.60)
CO ($27.45)
Button ($25.90)

Should I have folded preflop? On the turn? I would have to get him all in on a rivered flush to make that turn call good. Is that River call good getting 3:1? He hesitated a long, long, long time before going allin. I was thinking he might have AK at first but he hesitated so long it seemed like it couldn't be that. I don't think he'd put me on diamonds.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($5.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls $4.

Turn: ($13.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($33.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $20.45 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: $69.10
Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Re: NL50--1 Card Bottom End Straight Getting 3:1

hi tom,
i would make my standard raise preflop (even a little more like 5BB as im oop). and then fold to the reraise.
maybe i like to take a stab at the flop.
as played i fold the turn. you are not drawing to the nuts and his line could easily be a monster and i dont think you get him in if he has AK and you hit your flush.
but im a nl noob [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 08:35 AM

min raising pf is bad, why are you minraising?

I'd have to fold to this raise, there aren't many flops that you can be comfortable playing. As played this turn is a fold. Think about his 3-betting range. TT+ AQ+ probably, you don't have the odds to chase. The river is an easy fold for the same reason as the turn, he has you beat almost all of the time. QQ would be my guess.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
min raising pf is bad, why are you minraising?

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems to me A8s is not a really strong hand preflop from UTG and I wasn't sure if it was better to play it play it multiway or heads up so I sort of went in the middle.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:39 PM

NEVER minraise preflop. it's just dumb?

I like how you played it up until the river. I think a fold is best here.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:13 PM

*grunch*

Preflop minraise is garbage. Announces weakness or aces, boats pot without reducing field, out of position, blah blah, meow chow. You can just fold here, but if you play put in a real raise.

Flop, wow a check. I like your bet! But the smoothcall is scary. He's either drawing or he's not afraid of the draw coming in. Looks like TT (rather unlikely), QQ, or AK.

Turn, oops AK just hit his gutshot. I'd say its 1 in 3 we're drawing dead here to a made boat, and the rest of the time we need to hit the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I'm giving you 6 discounted outs for this draw to account for that, meaning you need the pot to lay almost 7:1 to make a call good here. And BAM he leads into you, he's got something. You're getting 2.3:1 from the pot. Fold.

Fold fold fold. Now there's no messy and expensive river decision to make.

How'd I do?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 PM

looks like theres a reason you play nl50 with over 7000 posts
Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 PM

Tom,

I think the hand was poorly played. However, instead of giving jackass comments I'll help you dissect the hand.

Preflop - minraise is almost always a bad idea. It is standard to fold A8s UTG even in 6 max. For really unobservant tables, you can try bloating the pot with min raises with small pocket pairs since you basically know where you stand post flop (I still don't recommend it as a regular raise gives you a chance to take it down w/ cbet). Baring that, please fold when a 16/13 3 bets out of the SB. In limit calling 3 bets are automatic because of the odds. In NL, your odds are worse (larger reraise) and you could end up making a second best hand postflop and lose a lot more.

Also now is the time to put villain on a range. Generally reraises are serious and I would put him on QQ+, AQs+, AK. If you want to be generous (even though villain stats don't seem to indicate so), you can include TT-JJ.

Flop - *Keeping villain's range in mind*, the flop check is a little suspicious unless he is a little scared with AK (but you said he has high AF) - so he could be trapping. I check here. Your nut flush draw is not the nuts because of the paired board btw. You're still behind villains entire range here.

Turn - I fold here, he basically bet 3/4+ Pot and J is a horrible card. AK made the straight, TT got quads, QQ got boat, KK has overpair with OESD, AA is still ahead, even JJ just filled up. You don't have implied odds, especially since you could already be drawing dead.

River - Please fold, villain's push means business and now even KK beats you. Ask yourself if villain would push with AA or AQ on this ultra scary board?

Anyway, don't be discouraged and keep posting hands, we're here to help!