I play exclusively online 82 40.00%
I play exclusively live 1 0.49%
I play an even mix of both 2 0.98%
I play both, but much more online 116 56.59%
I play both, but much more live 4 1.95%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Default College, Draft, NBA questions

Kevin Durant has been absolutely unreal. He is actually making me watch college games. His handle, 3 point shooting ability, length, rebounding, court savvy, everything is just incredible.

That said, Oden is a bare minimum 14/12/3 guy in the NBA, with the possibility of taking down a few defensive POY honors. Pretty much like a bigger Alonzo Mourning. He is averaging about 15 and 10 on 63 percent shooting. He is also shooting 60+% on FTs with his off hand.

Who would you rather draft #1?

Kevin Durant is currently averaging 25+ points, 11.5 rebounds on 49.5/38.7/82.9 from FG/3pt/FT, and seems to be a very adept shot blocker as well.

To give you some perspective, Carmelo's freshman year he averaged 22.2 pts, 10 rebounds, on 45.3/33.7/70.6 from FG/3pt/FT.

1. It's hard to do a poll for this, but Durant is definitely the best college freshman we have seen in recent memory. For you long-time CBB fans...There hasn't been a true freshman this good since ______________????

2. If you were an NBA GM, and had to build around one player, I would choose...
Old 02-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: College, Draft, NBA questions

Right now I would choose Oden for two reasons:
1. He's playing only with his off hand right now.
2. Can't big-man prospects > wings/guards.

That said, Durant is awesome. I think it's really a win-win.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:40 PM

I chose Oden.. partly because I think he's a bad ass mffucka. I'm really not sure though. We'll see when his right hand is fully functional. He could also become a dinosaur in the NBA, as teams move to a more run-n-gun style of play.

I really don't know. In some respects I hope the Celtics get the second pick so I don't have to second guess it.

Also, you mention Durant's handle. I heard that other than his lack of size, that's the major hole in his game right now. Maybe not major, but he publicly admits he has to improve his ball handling abilities.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 PM

When you say bare minimum 14/12/3, is this P/R/A or P/R/B?

Greg hasn't been a very good passer in college. I don't expect much more in the pros. If he touches the ball he usually jams it in. If this is blocks, that's a pretty high number for todays NBA. In college it's much easier to average 3+ blocks with less skilled players. But in the NBA, the leading guy this year is 3.1. I don't think Oden is going to be a much better shot blocker than Camby, who i believe is currently leading the league.

I live in Memphis. I know Oden will probally be the better talent for winning but I hope to god we can get Durant. I'd honestly consider getting season tickets if we get him. I'd be less inclined with Oden although moreso inclined then I am now. Durant is a total freak. I'm a huge college basketball fan (UNC) and he's the best player period I've seen in life as a fan of college basketball. 30/20 in a Big 12 game on the road is just insane. And he can pop the 3.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:57 PM

blocks.

i use the term "bare minimum" not literally though [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greg hasn't been a very good passer in college. I don't expect much more in the pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

My God dude, he's 19.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:03 PM

Durant reminds me of KG with more range on his shot but not the same passing ability and vision. Durant is more of a true scorer than KG usually is. KG is less inclined to take a tough shot, while Durant isn't.

Oden reminds me of a Duncan like player without a shot yet (probally due to his injury).
Old 02-06-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you mention Durant's handle. I heard that other than his lack of size, that's the major hole in his game right now. Maybe not major, but he publicly admits he has to improve his ball handling abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people describe Durant as a bigger Tracy McGrady. But you see McGrady drive on people and you don't see Durant do much of that.

That said, he has a great combination of outside shooting plus good post up ability that's hard to match. I voted for Durant because of that and because I think the era of dominant centers in the NBA is over.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:07 PM

My god dude? I was asking what his numbers meant. Usually it's P/R/A. Big men really aren't that great passers in the NBA (I guess Shaq, Webber, KG and Brad Miller are the exceptions). Duncan averages 3.5 a game which is pretty damn good.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now I would choose Oden for two reasons:
1. He's playing only with his off hand right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually the reason I voted for Durant. I can't say for certain what I'm getting out of Oden, and while it's pretty likely that what I would get is better than what he's shown, why take the risk when I know what Durant can give me and he's as attractive an option?

Green Kool Aid, to answer your question, I think he's the best true freshman I've seen (I'm 26, so I'm not going back too far). 'Melo comes closest, but I don't remember being awed by him the way I am awed by Durant. During his 37 and 23 game against Texas Tech, I was giddy; I was literally giggling as he just took over. Even last night, when I thought he was relatively quiet (he went 10+ minutes without a FG in the second half), he ended up with 28 and 15. He's just a machine.

-McGee