Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 11:56 PM

Default CardRunners 10-20 NL hand

Taylor has 2000 stack Stars 10-20 NL 6 Max, first orbit...he opens AKo to 80, Twin-caracas calls on the button and ZappyB calls in BB...flop KQJ rainbow, Taylor bets 225, Twin calls, Zappy folds...turn 2, whats your play and why?

Taylor's analysis was that he was gonna bet 3/4 of the pot and fold to a raise. He said he doesnt want to check-call because that would be "obviously a weak play". Kind of dissapointed that he didnt describe the spot better, so I bring it to u guys.

One reason I am concerned is that one of my prefered lines here would be check-call the turn, check-decide the river. Or value bet river if checked through
Old 02-07-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: CardRunners 10-20 NL hand

I'd bet 3/4 pot and call a raise. Doesn't twin raise this flop like 95% of the time if he beats tptk?

I think checking is bad because there are too many hands that are happy to check behind.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:11 AM

I think that if we get raised on this turn we are beat a lot of the time, Twin must have hit this board one way or another. If he calls this flop for pot control and to see what we do on the turn/what the turn brings, I dont really see him springing to life with an all-in after a 2nd barrel with a hand like AJ/AQ/KT etc

Also, I know that a ton of hands (like AJ, and AQ) are happy to check behind the turn. But if they were gonna fold to a turn bet anyways I dont mind keeping some of those hands around to get some value on the river maybe.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:14 AM

Anyone else check the flop?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, but not always? This time we didnt...I dont think Taylor would check this flop with AK very often though. I would definitely mix it in myself
Old 02-07-2007, 12:30 AM

I like taylor's line. It will balance the most between 67s, KK, and AK. Usually when he fires a second barrel on this board, he will be gladly calling a raise. So he can do it with AK and fold to a raise. And he can occasionally do it with 67s, too.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:27 AM

I play the same, I might bet 1/2 the pot instead of 3/4 though. But I bet and fold to a raise. Checking is weak, just as Taylor said. Lets him check behind, and if he bets you dont know where your at. Twin isnt that good of a player, he's pretty passive. He doesnt raise a turn bet without a better hand because you could have a set and you wont fold that youll just make him stick it all in. So youll be able to easily find out if your beat.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:06 PM

"So youll be able to easily find out if your beat"

I dont know if u can call it "easily" if it costs u 1/3 of your remaining stack...If u check-call the turn it will cost u the same loot, but u get to see a river and might induce action from a worse hand. Also I think u can fold to a river shove maybe, costing the same price.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:16 PM

advantage to c/c is inducing bluffs (but this is a TERRIBLE board to float) and allowing yourself to hit your 4-outer to the nuts. but i think the balancing/not inducing bluffs you can't call aspect of betting is better on the average...
Old 02-07-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
advantage to c/c is inducing bluffs (but this is a TERRIBLE board to float) and allowing yourself to hit your 4-outer to the nuts. but i think the balancing/not inducing bluffs you can't call aspect of betting is better on the average...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying that this turns check-calling in to definitely the correct play...but u did miss one advantage.
Although I agree that inducing "bluffs" is not a big deal here cause he isnt floating u to steal the turn here pretty much ever,...checking the turn does show weakness on your side and opens up your hand range a ton in his mind, which in turn can get u either a light river payoff or a turn "last stab" bet by him.