Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Has anybody gotten over this problem?

It's a pretty common problem. You win a few buyins or whatever, and you feel content to stop and book the profit rather than give yourself a chance to win more (or lose it back).

I've gotten a lot better at this, but I still have this problem to a degree. Some people seem to be able to keep playing with ease regardless of how much they are winning. Is this just something you're born with? A personal trait perhaps? I don't know of anybody who has had this problem and then been able to magically get rid of it.

How many have this problem? And how many of you have had this problem but resolved it, or been able to deal with it effectively?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Has anybody gotten over this problem?

The people for whom this is not an issue will almost all undoubetdly ask you the same question: "Why would you ever think about losing if you're playing to win?" Agree?

Adam
Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 PM

Color up, that way you make the apparent *size* of your stacks smaller. Very good for the psychological aspect of it.

AB
Old 01-26-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Color up, that way you make the apparent *size* of your stacks smaller. Very good for the psychological aspect of it.

AB

[/ QUOTE ]
can't do this online though. this is probably one of the most common problems imo.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:50 PM

It's not always a bad feeling. I had a horrendous December and it felt like I would never win again. A couple times earlier this month I quit with a small win just so I could say I had a winning session. When you haven't had one in what feels like forever, it can help get your mind in the right place.

Of course, if you get that feeling when you're running good then you're just tapped.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:25 AM

aislephive,
it's a common 'problem' of that i'm sure.
but it is what it is, man.
to be serious about the money, there has to be a detachment between the "table money" and "your money", if you are trying to distinguish profits.
Sometimes its easy to make a $10 bet, and hard justify a $10 purchase IRL.
Likewise, you can book up a hundred note day (in only a few hours this time!), because your are thinking about the $100 buying stuff.
I think (im not there yet), the top pros have the best "detachment", whereby they dont even relate their chips to real money. The chips are just counters in a game. U win more chips, u win monies...

Whereas us, we care a good deal about the money value of our rolls/chips, cause we may need that money soon.

Thats why you care when you are up "a good chunk".
Old 01-27-2007, 12:58 AM

Those are very good points BL, and I totally agree.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

AB

[/ QUOTE ]
can't do this online though. this is probably one of the most common problems imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Online stand up and sit back down to rathole.

AB
Old 01-27-2007, 02:55 AM

Not completely sure this is true, but I think this problem's partially a function of not really enjoying the game you're playing. When I get bored with a game and am grinding out hours just to try to earn money, I have a lot more of a tendency to say "well, I've earned $X, I guess I can quit for the day" even though I might still put in a long session if stuck. Playing a lot of deep-stacked PLO lately, I've been enjoying it more and have been a lot more motivated to put in long sessions, regardless of whether I've been winning or not.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:35 PM

I got this problem pretty bad and its cuz I value the money to much. Lately Ive been doing something different where after a break from my regular game Ill drop way down in limits and 12 table the 6 max game on stars. I do that for like 20 mins and Im like F this and go back to my regular game and do it up.