Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Technical Problems with new HDTV

So I just bought this new RCA 37" HDTV, and I've having some trouble hooking it up. First of all, I have a normal cable box for now (the HD box is getting hooked up on Friday). There are two inputs on the back of the TV. Do I hook this into "Analog Cable" or "Digital Cable"? I know Comcast always advertises their Digital Cable but I'm not sure that's what I have...

When I run the channel detection, it doesn't seem to find anything... anyone had a similar experience?

Also, in anticipation of the HD cable box, I'm going to order some HDMI cables (I'm assuming this is what I need to hook the HD cable box up to my TV?). Do I get M-to-M?

Thanks a lot if anyone can shed any light on any of this stuff. I've googled and searched the RCA site and read the bookley and found nothing.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Technical Problems with new HDTV

Yes M to M for HDMI....definetly the best cables.

If you can connect to the 'digital cable' connection, then do it.

Also, you shouldn't need to autodetect channels when using a cable box. Just hit tv/video until you get to the one that is for your cable connection.

good luck.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:02 AM

ohhhhhhhhhh [censored] i replugged it in in analog and it worked. i imagine the hd box will use digital, but i guess our cable box just isnt that sophisticated =/ thanks tedtodd i will order the hdmi cables tonight.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ohhhhhhhhhh [censored] i replugged it in in analog and it worked. i imagine the hd box will use digital, but i guess our cable box just isnt that sophisticated =/ thanks tedtodd i will order the hdmi cables tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most HD cable boxes use the HDMI cables, u get the best resolution with them. The regular comcast HD box only uses Component cables (red/white-red/blue/green), but their DVR HD box uses the HDMI cable.

Also, get a 2nd HDMI cable if you have a PS3 or an Upscaling DVD player.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:06 AM
 is offline

Definitely go HDMI. And if you can't afford an HDDVD/Blu-ray Player, treat yourself to an UpConvert DVD player. A good one should only be around $60-80 or so on sale.

Also, enjoy never wanting to watch SDTV again. I find myself watching warthogs bone in HD before I'd watch a football game in SD.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely go HDMI. And if you can't afford an HDDVD/Blu-ray Player, treat yourself to an UpConvert DVD player. A good one should only be around $60-80 or so on sale.

Also, enjoy never wanting to watch SDTV again. I find myself watching warthogs bone in HD before I'd watch a football game in SD.

[/ QUOTE ]

For sure. PS3 will play BlueRay DVDs, so that's your best value for high quality movie players.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For sure. PS3 will play BlueRay DVDs, so that's your best value for high quality movie players.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooohhhh good call. yay for having an excuse to blow more money on a gaming console!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:48 AM

If you are looking for HDMI good cables, check Monoprice.com. They are very good cables and very reasonably priced (as compared to the store bought brands like Monster). The AV geeks at AVS forums swear by them.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:54 AM
 is offline

Can you even get your hands on PS3's yet? Haven't really been following the market.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:13 AM

Yup most stores now have them in stock.