Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Request to MMB: Help enhance 2+2

We have some incredibly smart people reading & posting in this forum...

I thought I would open this thread here, to give you guys an opportunity to make suggestions on how to improve 2+2. Sugestion could be site wide features, relate to specific forums, enhancements to the main website, basically anything that comes to mind.

Here is a link to a thread in ATF started by El Diablo, with some ideas.

2+2 is currently pulling in roughly 25,000 unique visitors and 12,000 posts on a daily basis.

So give it some thought... and let's hear some good ideas...
Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Request to MMB: Help enhance 2+2

I haven't read the thread yet, but my biggest problem with 2+2 is the search function. It gives me fits. vBulletin is a much nicer forum script.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:51 AM

The biggest feature that I love about this forum is that it remembers the last post you read in each thread. So when you click on the thread again in the future, it takes you straight to the new posts. In almost every other forum I have seen, it will tell you if there are new posts in the thread, but you need to scroll through all the old ones again to get to the new ones -- i hate that.

I have/had some ideas on how to improve these forums, and will post them in the near future once i've gathered my thoughts -- but i think it is very important, that no matter what changes -- they do not get rid of that feature.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:06 AM

I really think we have a great community here. I originally came here as a poker player. I don't play much anymore, but I enjoy this forum.

Not a huge deal, but I don't think it'd be such a terrible thing to be allowed to post our websites in our sigs.

I know spam's a problem, but with the nature of this forum in particular I think networking and helping each other, checking out each others sites... I think the pro's would outweigh the cons.

Besides that, I think it's a great forum, if I didn't I wouldn't hang around here.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:42 AM

<hijack>

[ QUOTE ]
Not a huge deal, but I don't think it'd be such a terrible thing to be allowed to post our websites in our sigs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scotty, you can put your sites in your profile (250 characters in the bio section) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

</hijack>
Old 02-08-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest feature that I love about this forum is that it remembers the last post you read in each thread. So when you click on the thread again in the future, it takes you straight to the new posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny you say that, because that's the thing I hate most about the forums. If I haven't opened a thread before, it'll still take me one of the later "new" posts within the thread instead of the first post in the thread.

I've started clicking on the "1" link to automatically go to the first page whenever something in multiple pages in order to avoid this annoyance.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's really the type of info Sniper was looking for, unless I'm mistaken. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think that most of 2+2 comes here for the forum itself more than the Magazine or anything like that. And other than the recent issues with the forum being slow and such, I don't know how much can be done to improve it. In this particular forum, you've done a good job modding to date as far as I've seen, and I don't know what more you could do on top of that.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, I don't think that's really the type of info Sniper was looking for, unless I'm mistaken

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, I'm interested in all feedback, even if its not directly related to why I asked the question here. So, feel free to offer your opinion on anything that comes to mind.

Now to clarify... Why did I ask this question here, when there is already a thread in ATF?

Because, in addition to any general comments you might have as a user... I would like to hear your comments as Website developers, monetizers, & traffic drivers.

Consider... if YOU owned 2+2, what would you do to enhance the "property"?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 AM

To be honest, I think 2+2 is past it's prime. It sucks, but I think it's true.

Online poker is becoming nearly impossible to play, and may soon be officially illegal. Everyone has read the same books, and the fish are dying off faster by the day.

Poker book sales will drop. Add revenues from rakeback and poker sites will drop. It sucks, but that seems to be the direction things are heading.

I love poker, but the boom has peaked. It (hopefully) will remain this popular for awhile, but It's going to be next to impossible get 2+2 to maintain an upward growth.

It'll still be a wildly successful website for some time to come though, I'm fairly certain of that.

Sorry if it's negative, but that's the way I see it for now.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:06 AM

I agree, I think that this site is going to have to evolve and branch out into other topics other than poker. I would have left this forum entirely exept for the fact that I found MMB.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Consider... if YOU owned 2+2, what would you do to enhance the "property"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Since 2+2 is a publishing company intended for selling books to people who want to learn to gamble successfully (primarily poker), the authors of the books should include teaser videos or additional content videos accessible by people who have already purchased the book(s). They might be as simple as videos to demonstrate tell recognition or something that is not as easy to see just by seeing it on page.