Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 02:21 PM

Default QJ Blind steal

The button had been raising an awful lot, do people like a re-steal here ? a call ? or should it be a standard fold ?

Full Tilt Poker
$0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
MP: $106.20
CO: $103.10
BTN: $119.20
Hero (SB): $103.55
BB: $109.15
UTG: $73

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Q J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1.5, 6 players)
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $3.50</font>, Hero calls $3, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($8, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $21</font>, Hero folds
Uncalled bet of $16 returned to BTN

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [] ($18, 1 players)
No action

<font color="black">River:</font> 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [] ($18, 1 players)
No action
Old 01-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: QJ Blind steal

I don't like calling here as we will be OOP against an aggressive player. I sometimes 3-bet PF. An aggressive player doesn't always have a big hand PF and will generally fold to the 3-bet.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:28 PM

my standard play would be fold in this situation but I probably have a too narrow 3betting range [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think the worst choice is calling. You will find yourself playing a marginal hand OOP against an agressive player. Not a good situation.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:29 PM

It's okay to call, but QJo is generally not a good hand to do that with. It wins small pots, or loses big ones. If it were QJs, or 56s, or 33, or KQ/AQ/AJ, it'd be better.

I highly recommend not calling raises out of position with QJo, QTo, JTo, KTo, even KJo at your level. You should try to play hands in position, and when you're out of position, either raise or fold UNLESS you're playing to hit a big flop (pocket pairs, suited connectors, suited aces).

So if you want to play back at this loose button, 3-bet him from 4 to 14, and bet any flop and all flops if he calls. That is the proper response if you want to play a hand against his raise.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:29 PM

fold&gt;raise&gt;call probably, and why did you bet the flop?
Old 01-26-2007, 02:30 PM

I don't like calling here either, maybe 3-bet isn't bad, but if he's aggressive, he could always call it and you're still OOP. Just fold and move on to the next hand. Leading out for 5 is also a bad idea IMO. Check/call and re evaluate the turn if you play this hand.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:31 PM

Why donk the flop??
Old 01-26-2007, 02:33 PM

It's okay to bet the flop, playing your hand for what it's worth, thinking that he'll just fold if he's missed. That's not a bad strategy if the BTN is straightforward, but in general you should check/call this flop, and let villain c'bet a hand that whiffed. And you can check it down from there, as he usually will give up after his flop bet is called.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:53 PM

The reason do dont want to bet the flop is that 1. no Kings are folding, 2. u lose his cbet if he has completely missed and 3. no draw is taking a free card here anyways

There is really no good reason I can think of to donk this flop.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the insight, I wanted to defend my blinds as villain had been stealing alot. Now I know a little bit about how to do so.