Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Some confusion about the USA government

The USA government is its own boss. They do can whatever the [censored] they want to do. If they want to call poker a game of chance, then they will call it a game of chance. If the United Nations votes against going to war and killing tens of thousands of people in Iraq, the US will do it anyways - what makes you think a WTO ruling is going to do absolutely anything?

Chances are that they will look at Neteller's records and search for tax underpayments under X percent on an anually basis and go after those people. For those who have underpaid listen closely: Chances are this will be done in the next 2-3 years. The government and IRS is slow and has a wide range of years and its in their interest to allow your underpayment to continue gaining interest. Is there any limit on the amount of interest you can rack up? So if you underpaid, I would recommend taking care of it ASAP.

Will the government give us back our Neteller money? Maybe they will decide with some legal BS that it is illegal money and belongs to them. What are you going to? Spend money on lawyers and sue the government in courts run by the government? Good luck with that.

The government has a clear case against affiliates who were being paid by these sites. You guys were working for the site. Chances are the government wont bother to chase the little fish, but who knows. You cant say so definitively one way or another.

I think alot of us, myself included, have previously made the mistake of believing that the government would act fairly, rationally and logically, and not solely in its own interests. We were dead wrong. Just look at gambling tax laws, they are horrible and screw the taxpayer. The people who wrote them must have known that they were horrible. What do they care?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Some confusion about the USA government

Funny how it takes the horrible treatment of poker players for people to re-evaluate their government. Katrina? We hardly noticed - we were busy check raising.

You'd think it would be in the government's interest to have 23 million people otherwise occupied.

The Internet changed how the world operates. Suddenly you can play poker, backgammon, bridge, chess from your home with anyone in the world. The virtual poker rooms are pure genius - you can have new Sit'nGos every 5 seconds, you can sit down with $5 at a NL game just to learn it, you can play several tables at once. Online reinvented and advanced poker and made it accessible to everyone's budget.

Every day I marvelled at how well it was run.

But my government decided it didn't like it - American businesses started having hissy fits that some offshore upstarts were making a million dollars a day. Well, they provided a good service fairly and squarely - they competed like anyone else.

As Ed Miller said, the feds killed the biggest fish pond in the world.

If this was so unlawful, how come Neteller was allowed to operate in the US for 5-6 years and gain the trust of millions, including all the banks? How come it wasn't nipped in the bud? Why was it allowed to grow?

Our goverment is not wise. Instead of opening up the market to American based companies or allowing the offshore people in and taxing them, they decided to squash the whole enterprise. And they seized $55 million worth of American bankrolls.

This country started off with the Boston Tea Party, because of a far away unfair government. It could happen again and not just because of poker.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any limit on the amount of interest you can rack up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the limit is 20 or 25%?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny how it takes the horrible treatment of poker players for people to re-evaluate their government. Katrina? We hardly noticed - we were busy check raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of all the horrible things our government does you use a frigging natural disaster as your example? I'd much rather have them not doing anything than doing things.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:14 AM

What is the reason for letting KKF continually troll the forums?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:36 AM

US plans for cyber attack revealed

Just bomb them: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37563

Next the will blow up the Isle of man because of Stars.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:07 AM

"The Internet changed how the world operates. Suddenly you can play poker, backgammon, bridge, chess from your home with anyone in the world. The virtual poker rooms are pure genius - you can have new Sit'nGos every 5 seconds, you can sit down with $5 at a NL game just to learn it, you can play several tables at once. Online reinvented and advanced poker and made it accessible to everyone's budget.

Every day I marvelled at how well it was run.

But my government decided it didn't like it - American businesses started having hissy fits that some offshore upstarts were making a million dollars a day. Well, they provided a good service fairly and squarely - they competed like anyone else."

Well said.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:04 PM

I think people around here need to stop thinking of the US Government as one monolithic entity. It doesn't work that way.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:20 PM

I agree it's not one monolithic entity - there are 50 states with their own laws and judicial systems.

Some departments, like Justice, Defense, Homeland might have grown so big and powerful, perhaps they're beyond being answerable to congress or anyone else.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Some departments, like Justice, Defense, Homeland might have grown so big and powerful, perhaps they're beyond being answerable to congress or anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not answerable to Congress. They are answerable to the large corporations and right-wing fundamentalists who pour billions into their party coffers.