Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Default mutual fund fee...I bought loaded funds...errrr

I have a few American fund mutual funds , initial fee was 5% at $50 for my thousand dollar investments. What low fee mutual funds/Index funds would you recommend?
Vanguard? Fidelity? By doing more research I've realized this fee is BS. I started a Emirgrant account too and now have my saving earning a better rate but looking to buy some low fee mutual funds/index funds:

Is this a good chart/guide?

http://mutualfunds.about.com/gi/dynamic/...om/explode.html
Old 02-12-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: mutual fund fee...I bought loaded funds...errrr

The load on a mutual fund is a huge setback. It is probably impossible to overcome no matter how talented the manager is. I thought that this fee usually exists to pay as a commission to your financial advisor, but I don't know. I have never traded a loaded fund. If you don't have a financial advisor and are trading yourself, then you probably just want to consider one of the many index funds available at Vanguard. They will all have pretty low fees.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Good job.

I would say Vanguard has the best index funds available to individual investors.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:40 AM

If you purchased an A class share then you have already paid the fee. You can't get it back. The good news is that American Funds is the best of the broker sold families of funds. Their expenses are low and they have a high quality management team with tenures far longer than the industry average.

I would consider keeping them, even if you decide you shouldn't have paid the fee to buy them in the first place.