Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 06:31 PM

Default ($475) EPT Satellite AQ hits Axx flop near bubble

14 left in an EPT Qualfier where 8 get the trip to Warsaw. Avg. stack is 24K.

Villain is 12/10 over 100 hands. I tried to put him on a hand I beat while I was thinking and couldn't. If he was checking to see if I had the Ace, why would he raise so much? I have one note on him - he's capable of overbet pushing with AA. I know you normally go broke w/ TPTK and 30 BBs but because of the bubble scenario, I actually folded the hand. What's your play?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t800 with t50 antes (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t11898)
Hero (t25214)
MP1 (t30866)
CO (t24861)
Button (t13194)
SB (t28662)
BB (t27047)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t2000</font>, MP1 calls t2000, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t5550) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t3300</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises to t12000</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>
Old 01-20-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: ($475) EPT Satellite AQ hits Axx flop near bubble

I am not a satellite player but I think I am going to try to learn these

Possibly raise more preflop (2400 is better); you don't want to give the blinds too much of a reason to play this hand

I would definitely fold flop but I think that checking would have been a much better play. This guy never has a flush draw because he folds KQs preflop so he pretty much has a set of 7s or AK or a midpair. He never has a worse ace. He either has 2 outs to beat you or you are drawing very slim.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: ($475) EPT Satellite AQ hits Axx flop near bubble

Yea i like the idea of checking the flop for pot control here as well. You don't need to aim to stack the guy here so checking behind and calling his bets are fine.

If you check the turn and its a club and he bets i'd probably pop him once and check behind most rivers, if he checks the turn and its a club i'd bet to defend my hand a little.