Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Zomg First Post, J10 butchered?

Long time reader first time poster blahblahblah

Ive been having my ass kicked by varrince recently so Ive been questioning some plays.
villan is a regular, probabley winning player, thats my only read on him, i dont have gametime + or anything to overlay stats while i play.

GAME #478202256: Texas Hold'em NL $1.00/$2.00 2007-01-27 06:13:32
Table Degas
Seat 1: gazgits ($173.10 in chips)
Seat 3: stevodwg ($253.15 in chips) DEALER
Seat 5: Wiseboy ($276.59 in chips)
Seat 6: HYG ($200.00 in chips)
Seat 8: Gohansan ($215.80 in chips)
Seat 10: NICKOPOL ($77.60 in chips)
Wiseboy: Post SB $1.00
HYG: Post BB $2.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HYG [[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10]
Dealt to stevodwg [x, x]
Gohansan: Fold
NICKOPOL: Call $2.00
gazgits: Fold
stevodwg: Raise $8.00
Wiseboy: Fold
HYG: Raise $22.00

thought he maybe on a blind steal, yeah I know defending the blinds isnt too important but i dont wanting him thinking he can push me around!

NICKOPOL: Fold
stevodwg: Call $16.00
*** FLOP *** [[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7]
pot~$51
HYG: Bet $35.00
stevodwg: Call $35.00
*** TURN *** [[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10]
pot~$121
HYG: Bet $80.00
stevodwg: Raise $160.00
HYG:?

ok what do you guys think?
i'll post results later

go!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Zomg First Post, J10 butchered?

Whilst not terrible once in a while Id rather have a better read than "he maybe on a blind steal" before 3betting this OOP.

The turn is ugly, I would probably check since by betting you will almost have to call a push. You have to put in ~63? to win 361. Pretty hard to fold given those odds even though it looks like you are up against a set, though ak is perfectly feasible.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 AM

I think you should have reraised slightly more preflop - make it about 25/26 to go i reckon. I probably shove the turn or check raise all in. As played you obv have to call.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM

pf: i almost would never rr j10 OOP like this with no reads. no shame in calling $6 more and hoping the other guy calls behind you. and yea, plays like this will increase variance

flop: now that weve put ourselves in this position we have to bet. $35 is probably too small, im going something around $40

turn: hate this situation. this is why pf was iffy. now we are building a big pot oop with a draw with no reads against a big range of hands. again, this will cause variance. now you have a little over the pot left, so if you're going to bet it means you're committed so just push. you have FE plus possibly 14 outs (before the turn action id say around 11). As played its a trivial river call...with $60 left its like 5.5 to 1. Still, this hand would have been much easier without the pf rr.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:35 AM

In retrospect i agree calling preflop, in this case, would have been better, at the time i was playing in my agro gear so i just reraised. i like the turn push, that would have folded out some of the kings that had me beat and i guess it was going to end up all in the middle any way. Thanks for the advice.
Any one want results yet?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 AM

preflop is bad. C/R turn AI.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:44 AM

preflop hes raising a limper so his hand is slightly better than if he were opening, why bloat the pot now and kill your implied odds iwth the best drawing hand in nlhe

once you bet turn you commit yourself here so as played you dont have much of a decision at all

c/f turn isnt bad (unless he bets enough for your draws) since your FE is 0 for most of his bet sizes
Old 02-01-2007, 11:44 AM

First of all, this isn't exactly a "blind steal" when there is a limper in front of him; looks more like a pot sweetener (mistake with some hands, fine with others) or an attempt to isolate the blinds. So, his range is pretty strong and re-raising here is a mistake unless it's for metagame purposes.

On the flop, I'd say that c-betting / c-raising are both arguably good, though I would go for the former because c-raising against a relative unknown with a K on the board can only get you in trouble where c-betting will probably get you a better price on the turn. Also, you should bet a little more.

On the turn, checking is OK, though I would just push. What's weird about your hand is that, from the betting, it looks like you are trying to push instead of get value - you bet a bigger percentage of the flop on the turn than you did the flop, AND, at the same time, you're leaving yourself enough for a fold. A bigger flop bet + turn push would be better because it would put more pressure on your opponent to make a good lay down.

Checking the turn and getting a free card + letting your opponent donk bet and give you odds is not terrible either.

The lesson of this hand is not to rr with Jh10h pre in this situation.