Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 PM

Default An example from Jacobs\' h/u limit article

[ QUOTE ]
) You hold 9h-2d. The flop is Ks-5s-4s. Bet. It is slightly less likely that you will take down the pot at once, but a bet should still show a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above example assumes you are in the BB and the SB completed preflop. Jacobs is assuming here that the SB doesn't often fold preflop, and probably would have raised preflop with a couple high cards.

I'll need some more explanation to convince me on this one, because a highly coordinated flop like this is the kind of flop that I definitely wouldn't want to take a shot at. Not only is a loose/straightforward player likely to call you down with any [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], but this sort of player will also continue calling with a straight draw, pair, or possibly even a gutshot. IMO the chance of getting called here is quite large. To win I think you'd have to keep firing the whole way and hope your opponent folds the river after not improving his hand. I don't bet here and I think this is a fairly straightforward decision.

Who disagrees with me, and why?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: An example from Jacobs\' h/u limit article

i wouldnt bet that one and would rarely bet the j77 flop. it would depend on the flow of the last few hands.

the ak4 flop i would opt to cr usually.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:06 AM

Default Re: An example from Jacobs\' h/u limit article

i bet at those a lot. those are perfect "don't f around" flops that lead to quick, easy folds from opps that totally missed. just like an ace or king high flop most people don't hang when they're often drawing dead, and because the flop often hits you it tames opps from pulling pure raise bluffs very often ime. small spades and bottom pairs will often drop for a single bet on these boards also imo.

i agree that the J77 is a different beast altogether. this board isn't likely to have hit your opponent, but it's also pretty obvious to most opps that it likely didn't hit you either. if you're up against a fit or fold player by all means bet, but against most players at this level i think you'll have to vary your play a lot on paired boards like this.