Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 01:04 AM

Default list of books i\'m buying tomorrow, all good?

books i've read last year.
NLHTP, HOH1, HOH2, SSHE, Caro's Book of Poker Tells, SS, AOR, TOP, HPFAP, TPFAP and Scott Fischman's Online Ace.

and now, books i have in mind ordering tomorrow at amazon.
daniel negreanu's power hold'em strategy, zen and the art of poker, hold'em wisdom for all players, secrets of professional pot-limit omaha, getting the best of it, poker gaming and life, read'em and reap, the mathematics of poker, poker essays 1, 2, 3 and gambling theory and other topics.

any other books i should be adding to the list and are any of those i mentioned somehow useless or not very good?

thank you,
roberto.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: list of books i\'m buying tomorrow, all good?

two words ... slow down . those are great choices but one at a time. you can read one of those choices until the binding falls off and still not absorb it all. also you might want to pick one form of poker and stick to that. it seems like youve read up on your nl .. you can re-read what you already have several more times.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:55 AM

I would consider quite a few of those to be useless, but I won't single any out.

I agree with the previous reply 100%. Slow down!

Let me know how Power Hold'em Strategy is and good luck finding it since it won't come out for another month.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 AM

well, i'm only getting that much books because I don't live in america, so shipping costs to me are very expensive if paid separately. and i won't be rushing to read them, it'll take me like a year to do so.

also, i will just order 'power hold'em strategy' and it will be shipped when available.

i think i'll probably cut 'poker essays' (1, 2 and 3) and 'gambling theory and other topics' from the list. not sure tho.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book is good. Also, I liked Angel Largay's No Limit book. I liked the Fox/Harker book called Mastering Hold 'Em or something like that - but there's a difference of opinion on this board about that book.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:37 AM

Negreanu's Holdem Wisdom for All Players is perhaps the biggest disappointment out of any book I've read, and I've read most on your list.

The fact that DN's name is on it brings high expectations, at least from me, that there would be something unique inside that I had never considered. I am a DN fan, and I know he has plenty to say.

However, it is an extreeeeemely basic book for real beginners. The title is false advertising in a big way. It reads more like an outline of what could be a good book than a good book itself. He's capable of more and should be embarrassed.

Sadly, I read the whole thing (it took less than 2 hours), and I can't say I picked up one nugget of wisdom ... not even close. Worse than Hellmuth's books, which are pretty f'ing bad.

If you've played poker with any regularity, and if you're used to the quality of the books you've already read, you're in for a huge disappointment.

I can almost hear the conversation at Cardoza publishing (or whoever) where they're goading him to puke out a book as quickly as possible to exploit his name, and not to worry about doing something substantive.

Save your 15 bucks.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM

k, thx darth, won't buy it.

also, wilco, isn't phil gordon's little green book for beginners? what about his other books?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:54 PM

updated list:
daniel negreanu's power hold'em strategy, zen and the art of poker, secrets of professional pot-limit omaha, getting the best of it, poker gaming and life.

books i'm not sure about:
read'em and reap, the mathematics of poker and gambling theory and other topics.

what do you guys think especifically about those last three? are they worth it? i've read some good things about all of them but also that read'em and reap is repetitive, that the mathematics of poker talks about too complex things you'll likely never use at the table and that gambling theory and other topics is outdated. is that true?

again, thanks for your help guys.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:59 PM

Of the books on your list, the best ones are:

Secrets of Professional Pot-Limit Omaha
Read'em & Weep
The Mathematics of Poker
Old 01-11-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
k, thx darth, won't buy it.

also, wilco, isn't phil gordon's little green book for beginners? what about his other books?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say beginner to intermediate. I think an intermediate will have an understanding of the concepts and should be able to digest them, which is why I liked it.

Do not bother with the Little Black Book and only get the Little Blue Book if you're bored or want to know how to play a monster hand once you get it.