Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Might makes right

Hi, my name is Thrasymacus and I believe that whatever I do is right. I don't believe in god and I don't believe in any kind of morality, unless whatever I am saying now can be considered some kind of morality. I do whatever pleases me and I do whatever I believe increases my own happiness. Sometimes doing stuff that other people consider to be immoral increases my happiness.

One thing that increases my happiness is having a system of government which allows me to control other people's actions. It also allows me to take their money. Because I am very wealthy and have influenece over the right people, I can reap the benefits of government without having to pay taxes. No matter who is in control of the government, I can use my money to influence them and make sure that my interests are protected.

Some people tell me that government is unjust and that taxation is stealing, but why should I care? As I said before, I do whatever makes me happy, and government helps me be happy.

Prove me wrong.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Might makes right

I think you're exactly right. Well, I believe you're correct when you say the following:

[ QUOTE ]
I do whatever pleases me and I do whatever I believe increases my own happiness. Sometimes doing stuff that other people consider to be immoral increases my happiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]
I do whatever makes me happy, and government helps me be happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I even believe you're correct when you say

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that whatever I do is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, I don't believe that whatever you do IS right.

[ QUOTE ]
Prove me wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. You make the claim, the burden of proof is on you. You've set the bar pretty high, I'm keen to see what you come up with.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Prove me wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. You make the claim, the burden of proof is on you. You've set the bar pretty high, I'm keen to see what you come up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the burden of proof on me? You all seem to be the ones that are unhappy with the status quo. I am perfectly content to continue stealing from you even if I cannot prove to you that I am right. I have been reading this forum a while and many people in here have argued that government, taxation, etc. are wrong. Since I actively take advantage of that system, I am curious to see if you people can prove to me that my actions are wrong. And if my actions "wrong", why should I modify my behavior? As I said before, I don't believe in god so I'm not worried about going to hell for doing things that are wrong (though I will change that belief if you can prove to me that god exists).

Now maybe you don't care about proving to me that I'm wrong. But until you convince me to somehow modify my behavior, I will continue stealing your money and and controlling your actions as I please. If thats okay with you, then fine.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:28 AM

It's obvious you influenced Nietzsche. When you say, "I believe that whatever I do is right," what do you mean, exactly? That is, "right" by what standard?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's obvious you influenced Nietzsche. When you say, "I believe that whatever I do is right," what do you mean, exactly? That is, "right" by what standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

By my standard, which I change whenever it suits me.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Prove me wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the burden of proof on me? You all seem to be the ones that are unhappy with the status quo.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the status quo is has nothing to do with proving anything "right" or "wrong". The burden of proof is always on the party making a claim. When someone claims to have discovered cold fusion, it's not up to everyone else to disprove the claim.

[ QUOTE ]
Since I actively take advantage of that system, I am curious to see if you people can prove to me that my actions are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, we're all waiting for you to prove that your actions are right.

[ QUOTE ]
Now maybe you don't care about proving to me that I'm wrong. But until you convince me to somehow modify my behavior, I will continue stealing your money and and controlling your actions as I please.

[/ QUOTE ]

That has zero to do with the rightness or wrongness of those actions.

Why don't you say what you're *really* interested in?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Prove me wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the burden of proof on me? You all seem to be the ones that are unhappy with the status quo. I am perfectly content to continue stealing from you even if I cannot prove to you that I am right. I have been reading this forum a while and many people in here have argued that government, taxation, etc. are wrong. Since I actively take advantage of that system, I am curious to see if you people can prove to me that my actions are wrong. And if my actions "wrong", why should I modify my behavior? As I said before, I don't believe in god so I'm not worried about going to hell for doing things that are wrong (though I will change that belief if you can prove to me that god exists).

Now maybe you don't care about proving to me that I'm wrong. But until you convince me to somehow modify my behavior, I will continue stealing your money and and controlling your actions as I please. If thats okay with you, then fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irrespective of whether or not money and government are involved, if your general attitude is that you will do whatever pleases you regardless of any consequences it might cause for other people, then you are the definition of a sociopath. I'm not addressing the specific example in your post (of taxation etc.) but just the attitude that proclaims "all that matters is me, even if it hurts others, because only I matter and they don't." From the tone of your post I get the impression that this might be your attitude in other aspects of life as well. I would certainly hope not. Please, prove me wrong.

edited: I'm going to sleep now, and I will pray for you.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Irrespective of whether or not money and government are involved, if your general attitude is that you will do whatever pleases you regardless of any consequences it might cause for other people, then you are the definition of a sociopath. I'm not addressing the specific example in your post (of taxation etc.) but just the attitude that proclaims "all that matters is me, even if it hurts others, because only I matter and they don't." From the tone of your post I get the impression that this might be your attitude in other aspects of life as well. I would certainly hope not. Please, prove me wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't exactly know what a sociopath is. I may be one. I will say though that most people who know me personally like me and think that I am a nice person, including people who believe that what I said above is evil. Most of the stealing that I do nobody even knows about. I steal small amounts from millions of people, so no one really notices. And then I use that money to throw a lot sexy parties, which people seem to enjoy. But I don't just buy my friends. I'm also very personable and help people from time to time because I enjoy human companionship.

If that makes me a sociopath, then so be it.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The burden of proof is always on the party making a claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

PVN,

I believe that both of us are making claims, or have made claims in the past. Have you not made the claim in the past that government is wrong? If so, shouldn't you prove that claim?

I am actually doing you a favor by giving you a chance to prove me wrong and possibly convince me to stop stealing from you.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The burden of proof is always on the party making a claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

PVN,

I believe that both of us are making claims, or have made claims in the past. Have you not made the claim in the past that government is wrong? If so, shouldn't you prove that claim?

I am actually doing you a favor by giving you a chance to prove me wrong and possibly convince me to stop stealing from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think stealing is wrong that's fine but it sets a dangerous precedent and you won't be the strongest forever. Sooner or later someone will come along who's stronger than you, they'll take everything you own and you'll have zero recourse. Then you'll die alone, feeble and penniless.