Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Let\'s be very straightforward:

This is a Nietzschian idea.

I'm asking for your thoughs, specifically concerning validity.

- Consider the most rational individuals, existing in today's society (the "smartest men (or women) alive, today".) The words are irrelevent here, the idea is all that matters.
- Could it be possible that to us mere humans, these rational individuals appear irrational (we scientists know that appearences, themselves, are meaningless.) Rduke knows what it's like becoming a true scientist. If you wanted a proof, of sorts, take a gander at Nietzsche's "The Gay Science" (Walter Kaufman FTW!!!!)

Who are the men TEACHING SOCIETY to the highest degrees? What qualities should we look for in such men? Is it valuable distinguishing such men while they are still existing in today's society? Are we morally compelled to identify such men?

The above text simply leads to one final thought experiment:
To use some of Nietzsche's words:
Can rationality emerge out of apparent irrationality?

I'm working on a scientific-approach for general-human neurosis (I'm unsure if such a proposition exists in reality - but that information would be handy, as well.) The paper is written strongly from a psychodynamic perspective and uses plain language to explain the ideas at hand. Sometimes I don't know where I'm getting the information from, but it tends to find its way to me (thankyou forums, 2+2, SMP, and you.)

The paper is utter theory and is essentially meaningless without confirmation from the scientific (or some other) community. The paper may contain any number of inaccuracies or inconsistancies that I am unaware (unconscious) of. I am a no-name, broke (lots of school-debt, actually - so I guess that makes me less-than-broke in society [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]), typically-but-not-right-now unmotivated college student. I attend a no-name institution.

I'm ready to accept that my paper is nonsense (after all, this is the ONLY way to fix things,) but I find its creation to be a bit theraputic, and I'm going to continue until I am satisfied with the work.

Thanks for listening to my (non)sense. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My posting, whatever you may think of it, is largely inspired by a man named Focault. For those of you interested in history, morals, EVOLUTION, and mental health, I think that you will find the book Madness and Civilization to be particularly brilliant.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Let\'s be very straightforward:

An interesting proposition (this is nothing more than an idea
What do all of the great, brilliant, genius minds of our past hold in common?
The utter desire, above all things, to strive for what is best for the species.

History could be seen as proof, here. Although, as a friend of mine notes: History is a myth men choose to believe – Napoleon

What does it often LOOK like they are striving for?
Power.

For those who are interested (and that's probably very few): this is all created and written within the bounds of a sober state of mind - immediately after waking up from a good, ol' fashioned nap.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:51 PM

I think you're right, but I'm not sure how practically relevant it is at this juncture. The most intelligent people may frequently appear to be insane, but they may also be highly inconsistent, and many of them may actually be insane.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're right, but I'm not sure how practically relevant it is at this juncture. The most intelligent people may frequently appear to be insane, but they may also be highly inconsistent, and many of them may actually be insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, touche!

This is the truth, IMHO.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Consider the most rational individuals, existing in today's society (the "smartest men (or women) alive, today".) The words are irrelevent here, the idea is all that matters.
- Could it be possible that to us mere humans, these rational individuals appear irrational (we scientists know that appearences, themselves, are meaningless.)

[/ QUOTE ]
This could easily be possible. If behaviour is irrational from our perspective and rational from the rational individuals' perspective, then the rational individuals simply hold different beliefs about that behaviour than us mere humans.

Simple example: if a mere human believes in god, but the most rational individual doesn't, then he will have no fear of god at all and won't care about any kind of blasphemy. The mere individual who does believe in god might think blasphemy is irrational.

I think if you'd lose every single irrational belief you hold, and act completely rationally, then you might seem very irrational to an average person.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- Could it be possible that to us mere humans, these rational individuals appear irrational (we scientists know that appearences, themselves, are meaningless.)

[/ QUOTE ]
This could easily be possible. If behaviour is irrational from our perspective and rational from the rational individuals' perspective, then the rational individuals simply hold different beliefs about that behaviour than us mere humans.

Simple example: if a mere human believes in god, but the most rational individual doesn't, then he will have no fear of god at all and won't care about any kind of blasphemy. The mere individual who does believe in god might think blasphemy is irrational.

I think if you'd lose every single irrational belief you hold, and act completely rationally, then you might seem very irrational to an average person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fascinating. If we could only find out a means by which to determine what beliefs ought to be considered irrational [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- Consider the most rational individuals, existing in today's society

- Could it be possible that to us mere humans, these rational individuals appear irrational

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's try a sample. Do I appear irrational to you? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(no, I'm not kidding)
Old 01-10-2007, 10:35 PM

Lots of SMP posters do.

It seems like it's TAKE TAKE TAKE when you're young, then GIVE GIVE GIVE when you're more rational.

Thanks, SMP. I think I can stop the nonsense and mental abuse soon.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of SMP posters do.

[/ QUOTE ]

What gave you the idea that they're more rational than you, even beyond your comprehension?

Well, I'm one of those super rational humans you speak of, and I can tell you, a lot of SMP posters are very irrational.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 PM

In any case, have you heard of "it takes wisdom to understand wisdom"?

Once you achieve a certain level of objective thinking, anything above yours is easily recognizable as such.