Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Theoretical Practice Strategy

Pretty much every major book ever written on the subject of poker details two ways to win money. 1) Have the best hand at the showdown, and 2) Make everyone else fold before a showdown.

Even the worst poker player can make money at poker when he's got the nuts, and a bad-average player can make money when he can be reasonably certain he's got the best hand. What separates the average player from the best players is an ability to make money without the best hand.

To that end, I propose this theoretical practice strategy(it would only work online): Use a piece of paper to cover your hold cards, and play the players on the table. Obviously, this would be stupid to do at your normal limits, but I am a $400 NL player and would be very willing to try this approach at a $50 NL tables once or twice a week, working on my ability to smell out fishy bets, c-bets, bluffs, etc. Has anyone ever tried something similar, or do you think this could be an effective srategy for practicing?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Theoretical Practice Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
What separates the average player from the best players is an ability to make money without the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine the ability to get the MOST amount out of your opponent when you DO have the best hand, and lose the least amount when you don't also factors.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Theoretical Practice Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
What separates the average player from the best players is an ability to make money without the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's called outplaying the other guy. Representing a hand when all you have is garbage and getting the others to believe it. They have words for that. Oh yes, bluffing and semi-bluffing...(But sometimes it's not a bluff. You 'know' based on reads that your garbage is really best for that hand).

[ QUOTE ]
To that end, I propose this theoretical practice strategy(it would only work online): Use a piece of paper to cover your hold cards, and play the players on the table. Has anyone ever tried something similar, or do you think this could be an effective srategy for practicing?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do this live, too. Just pretend to look at your cards, but not realy looking. Then you can bet every hand like they are gold.

Negraneau calls this the Nutbar exercise. He recommends doing it at levels lower than usually played for practice at being aggressive.