Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Families and responsibilities to them in the east vs the west

Over here in Thailand - and probably most of Asia - it's standard to assume that your kids will take care of you (including entirely financially) when you're old.

In western society, once you escape from your family, it's like "ohhhhhhhhh yea - no more dysfunctional PSYCHO'S can be forced upon me without my consent".

These two styles have some pretty insane consequences such as where ones responsibilities must be directed, whether forced family bonds are positive or negative, the consequences where a safety net for your future must be provided by yourself or another, etc.

Discuss.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Families and responsibilities to them in the east vs the west

In many African societies, you're even obliged to work for your community and the elders of the community will redistribute any money (or other assets) coming in.

I'm no sociology expert, but I'm pretty sure wealth is a key factor in those differences between social obligations.

Also, not too long ago, in the western culture looking after you family was pretty much standard, too.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:49 AM

I plan to take care of my parents when they're old. Don't most people? WTF
Old 07-11-2007, 12:01 PM

I thought putting your parents in an old folks home was standard?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought putting your parents in an old folks home was standard?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-11-2007, 12:14 PM

taking care of your parents is 100% expected of children here. moreso from daughters than sons.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 AM

In western society, you put money away from your pay so that you have money when you retire and can chill out after that. Cuz if you don't have an income when you're old, can have to work until you die. But there is no need to worry about helping your folks out financially cuz they did the same thing. But wait. How much money do you need to retire on? Half a mil at 5% interest gives you $500 a week to live on without eating away at the principle. So I'd guess that this is a good minimum ballpark figure. This is A LOT OF MOTHER FUGGIN MONEY! If you save up $150-$200 a week from 21 to retirement this is prob about right. Again - that's a lot of mother fugging money you earned that you could never use. It's pretty gay really. Imagine having an extra $200 a week to spend for like 40 years. Also, necessities like accomodation and food in western countries takes a very large portion of your pay so after tax, you aren't left with much to enjoy the best quality of life that is possible. On top of that, if you start saving later like when you're 30 (like me), you gotta spend a few years saving almost every cent to catch up.

Over here in Thialand, very few people save money for retirement - or anything really. I mean almost no one saves like anything at all. Imagine not having to put any money aside for retirement. You don't need to - your kids will do that - SCHWOOOOIIIIT! Also necessities like accomodation and essential food take a MUCH MUCH lower percent of your income (non-essential stuff like deserts and drinks cost more than the meal tho). The catch is that you have to support your family financially. Hmmm ... maybe this cost is a similar cost to the money you put away...
Ok, there goes my point ...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:44 AM

Excellent point actually. Less applicable in a place like Japan, where everything is horrifically expensive, but still has some good catch points.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 AM

So let me get this straight. If you're 40, your mom and dad are 60, and her parents are both 80, do you have to support your 60 year old mom and dad? Won't she use the money you're supporting her with to support her 80 year old parents? Where does it end?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 AM

Relying on other people to support you is never a good thing. Relying on yourself but having your children as a backup is a much better system than spending money like MC Hammer and just hoping that your children will support you.