Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Need advice about how to do a study of the numbers in Hold\'em

I like to play hold'em and I think my instincts are pretty good. However, I need to do a serious study of the numbers. People keep telling me on my posts that I am not getting the implied odds (in stacks) to play this or that hand. How do they know this. Can anyone suggest some books that will help get me started to do a serious study of the numbers and/or where on the internet I may look to start doing a serious study of the numbers. I want to get knowledgable enough to do calculations and just know on the spot if calling or raising is mathematically sound or not. Sorry for the simplicity of this question but basically, how do I go about doing a serious study of the numbers? Where do I start? Any suggested reading or sites I can visit, any books? All help is appreciated.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Need advice about how to do a study of the numbers in Hold\'em

I'm not an expert, so take from this what you will.

I like Phil Gordon's rule of 4 and 2 for quick simple at the table numbers. After the flop, count your outs (accurately) and multiply this number by four to determine your chances of improving by the river. After the turn multiply your outs by 2 for the last card to come.

It is important to remember that your flop decision is based on getting to 5th.

Remember to count outs accurately, and only count those that will make you a winner.

Hope this helps.............GL.

I just re-read your post and i think my reply is really not what you're looking for. Do a search here on EV calculations.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Need advice about how to do a study of the numbers in Hold\'em

"No Limit Hold'em: Theory and Practice" by Sklansky and Miller. The book is amazing for anybody who has an idea of what they're doing but don't quite grasp the finer points of the game. It should be right up your alley.