Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Stealing / ReStealing and Defending the steal - Discussion ??

Last night it became apparent that I need to work on my late game skills. We were 5 hours deep in the monster that the 3.00 rebuy has become. Chip leaders were at 1mil in chips and the rest of the back between 180k and 400k.

With about 200 players of the 3300 runners I found myself in a few situations where I just didn't feel confident. I was getting my blinds run over and never had the goods or even half the goods to put up a fight so that leads to my first question.

What makes for a Good Resteal hand or better yet if it isn't the hand that matters what is the optimum stack sizes to making that play with?

I just felt like I was getting run over with no defense. Finally I pushed any 2 over a button raise when I had about 170k in chips vs the buttons 330k facing a standard 3xBB raise at the 6/12k level. Seamed aggressive but at the same time given the number of times I folded out of the BB I thought the time was right.

What is some good criteria for the ReSteal?

Letting steal opportunities pass you by

During middle stages I had about average chips stacks and found that I was letting "steal" opportunities go by. I would fold my Ace rag, KTs type hands folded to me in late position fearing the RR allin from the Blinds holding 10BB's etc. Good poker or weak play?

I didn't want to turn AQ into 72x so to speak and have to fold but more on that later.

Does the fear of facing the RR make your steal raise criteria tighter?

Aggressive Re-Raising and Re-Stealing

Last night on a few occasions I RR allin from LP with ok type hands and between 12-15 BB's.
Example MP (20BB's) and playing lots of hands opens for 3BB's and I have AJs and push he tanks and fold claiming to have 88.

Goes alogn with ReRaising allin from the blinds with trash when facing a Button standard raise. Did that one time with J2x as stated above. Button tanked and claimed to fold 66.

Folding to a push

With 15 BB's I open for 3BB's holding AQs in MP, immediate player to my left pushes and has me covered I tank and fold. Good play, bad fold, bad initial raise?

Calling a Button huge PUSH

45 players left and I have 11BB's before posting my BB holding ATs. Button with 25BB's pushes.

I think and call and subsequently bust.

I realize there is a lot here but looking for some ideas on what I need to be thinking in these type situations. Yes I know the standard answers are

1. It's read dependant
2. It's Stack dependant
3. It's bubble time
4. It's YOUR Image dependant

I know these are all important but I am looking for some guidance on what are the situations that make these types of plays success. What types of players? What types of hands? How big is your hand compared to the aggressor? How big is your hand compared players left to act etc.???
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Stealing / ReStealing and Defending the steal - Discussion ??

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold my Ace rag, KTs type hands folded to me in late position fearing the RR allin from the Blinds holding 10BB's etc. Good poker or weak play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you fear anything?

This is a very table texture dependent question.

Until the table tells me otherwise I steal with those hands, or at least raise some of them for value.

Regards,
Woodguy