Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Should a dealer suggest a chop?

I was in a sit-n-go at Hard Rock Hollywood this past Friday night. The tournament pays the top three positions. I was short stack when we got down to the final three. After I doubled up through the chip leader, the dealer suggested a three way even chop as the chips were just about even between the three of us. (I think I had a little more than a third of the chips, but after posting the big blind on the next hand, I would have had slightly less if I didn't win the hand.)

We decided to chop at that point, but after reflection, I thought that the dealer was a little out of line by suggesting this. What are your thoughts? Should the dealer be looking for the opportunity to end the tournament quickly and free up the table and accelerate the time to earn her tip? Shouldn't the chop suggestion originate from the players?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Should a dealer suggest a chop?

Her motives are obvious. I think it's a little out of line.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 PM

the fact that you agreed to it makes me think its acceptable. if it was a problem, dont agree to it. obviously the dealer has an ulterior motive, but what does that matter? she isn't hurting you or your earn.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:50 PM

I have seen this quite a few times while I was playing in Vegas. I have also seen a TD suggest a chop. The time I saw the TD suggest a chop, he also suggested amounts that included dealer tokes.

I always tip my dealer, so I didn't have any problem with it. Besides, you always have the option to politely decline to chop.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the fact that you agreed to it makes me think its acceptable. if it was a problem, dont agree to it. obviously the dealer has an ulterior motive, but what does that matter? she isn't hurting you or your earn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It is not like she is coaching on how to play or whether or not to chop blinds when heads up in a cash game, this is to chop tournament money (something that novice touriney players might not even know is an option).

I see no problem with it. One player says no, then it is no. Plain and simple. Dealer should not be critisized for asking. Doesn't effect game at all.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:52 PM

It depends on how aggressively the dealer was pushing the option. If it's information -- "I don't know if you all know this, but you can chop up the prize money" -- I see no problem.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM

Yes and no. The dealer might be suggesting this because not everyone may know you can do a chop/make a deal. I think that it is ok, as long as the dealer doesn't pressure anyone into making said deal. If he/she mentions it and just leaves it at that, then it's fine, but if he pressures you to take one, then I think that's crossing the line.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:11 PM

Suggesting the chop is sorta like just putting the idea out there so if folks didn't know they could do it they can ask questions. Many tourney newbies don't even THINK about the possibility of making a deal. So like others have already said, I don't mind the dealer bringing up the topic one time. I don't appreciate dealers who every 3rd hand try to broker a deal.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:42 PM

Doesn't change the outcome, if any of you are halfway decent players, you have already considered the possible pros and cons of such a move anyway.

This is off topic, but honestly, guys in this forum, try and spend a bit more time on actual play of the game than worrying about dealer commentary or floor decisions. You would be better served not calling a four bet from a 100 year old man preflop when you hold KJo, as opposed to expressing insane amazement when a dealer comments on someone's kicker with bottom pair in a pot with 6xBB in it. Keep your eye on the ball, people.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 PM

A dealer should NEVER suggest a chop. Same goes for a TD or anyone else working in the poker room.

Dealers deal, make sure the game runs smooth and honest. That is all.