Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Default A live example of a hand to show why old players O/8 go nuts.

Had this hand in the BB last night at Commerce in 3/6 O/8 full kill.

2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Lousy hand right? Instamuck anywhere other than BB?

Watch this flop and get ready to count the outs.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]t [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

1 draw to 4 of a kind
2 outs to an open ended straight flush
All other clubs = flush
All other 6 or J = straights
Any board pair = full house.

It's like 1/2 the deck to improve + 3 cards for legit monsters.

And what happens? SWING BATTER. NOTHING hits and I wind up where I started, with a set of 2's that lose to 9K straight hit on the river.

Is it any wonder that all the "oldtimers" playing O/8 and targeted by this board as "just a little nutty" (to put it politely) when this game can take a lousy hand PF, turn into absolute monster draws, and then turns it back into trash again? What a game!
Old 01-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: A live example of a hand to show why old players O/8 go nuts.

i'm not exactly sure how this is a monster. first of all you got no low. second your set sucks and so does your flush draw. i hope you weren't jamming it. i see it as you having 11 outs for half the pot. the duece, the strait flush draws, and the other strait draws. how many players on this flop?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:01 PM

if someone has an over set and another player has suited ace of clubs with a low or any club higher than a 10. then i'm not happy to be in your position.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:24 PM

6 or 7 players - all playing a lousy flop passively. I just went along for the ride, called only, certainly no raising. I recognize that most of the "made" hands still sucked. What stuck me most was the draw for both quads and a straight flush. But then, I am still very new to O/8.

But to the un or undereducated, I feel it is hands like this one where playing trash can start looking very tempting, until you look more closely. It is this siren song that tends to draw people into playing WAY too many hands. As I stated, this hand is a getawayfrommeustinkincards instamuck from any position other than BB.

For me, part of the fun of O/8 is its different levels of analysis and the "Oh, wait a minute" moments just when you think you have things figured out. So many times, things aren't as good as they looked at first blush, kinda like girlfriends.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:26 PM

Yea, with this hand I think that in the BB you can play it, not for raise and I would probably dump it in the SB but I play extremely tight in the SB when it is $2 more to call a non-2 way hand. You do have a lot of outs but not to the nuts and no low. But I do know what you mean about a marg hand becoming rather interesting after the flop. What about those times you have the dream hand pf like aa23 etc and the flop completely misses you! These preemie hands don't come along that often and it finally does and you have no flop to it. This is a typical hand that I see played by the older O8 players in any position and calling any raise as well.

I like you, really like O8. I find that I have to be very patient and try for 2-3 scoops per session. Sometimes I fold for 2 hours str8. Good luck mate