Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Of all the hardcore religious people I\'ve met

Mormons have always been the nicest. My sample size is small, but every single Mormon I've met has been a genuinely very kind person. I've met a lot very nice Evangelical Christians and Orthodox Jews, but I've also met a lot Evangelical Christians and Orthodox Jews who were total jerks or just mediocre on the niceness scale.

I am an atheist, but used to be a Christian. I am always annoyed at how some people can be so adamant in their belief in Jesus, but seem to be such jerks in everyday life. Again, my sample size is very small, but it seems that Mormons, on average, are the best about practicing what they preach.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Of all the hardcore religious people I\'ve met

I agree that Mormons do give the best consistent example of a moral life to the world in general percentage-wise. However, they're still not true christians theologically and belief in far-fetched stuff that makes mainstream christianity look much more believable to non-believers. And those long-john thingies the most devout wear are straight out of Masonry, despite their assertions to the contrary. Oh yeah, and lol on them for their "archeology" and theories totally without proof that the events in the Book of Mormon involving the "lost tribe of Israel" took place on the Yucatan peninsula.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:59 AM

I've often wondered if this is because of the homogenous ethnicity of the mormon population, that they all come from just a sort of nice group of people. Not sure where in northern europe they come from, but theyre all white and very nice, maybe swedish or something.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:03 AM

They kill the mean ones.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that Mormons do give the best consistent example of a moral life to the world in general percentage-wise. However, they're still not true christians theologically and belief in far-fetched stuff that makes mainstream christianity look much more believable to non-believers. And those long-john thingies the most devout wear are straight out of Masonry, despite their assertions to the contrary. Oh yeah, and lol on them for their "archeology" and theories totally without proof that the events in the Book of Mormon involving the "lost tribe of Israel" took place on the Yucatan peninsula.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like you like them for all of the reasons that Christians say are important, and dislike them for all of the reasons Christians say are besides the point. When challenged about their silly practices, most Christians eventually fall into the shell of "living the best life I can in the example of Christ." This seems to be exactly what you think the Mormons do better than anyone. Its just a few of their silly beliefs (and I understand how fundamental some of them are) that are the sticking point for you. Interesting.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:09 AM

The truth is important for its own sake, as it is reflective of God, the Author of truth, whereas falsehood to any degree is not. Something science-denying fundamentalists don't get.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:11 AM

Not that homogeneous. My great great great grandfather on my mother's side was Wilford Woodruff, and I believe he's British and Danish mostly? My father's a Mormon Bishop from a long line of LDS people, and he's I think Scottish and British. Nothing special, anyhow.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:17 AM

madnak,

It's certainly less homogeneous racially now since the Prophet of the Council of Elders had a "revelation" about 20 years ago or so that blacks were eligible for the Mormon priesthood, contrary to previous practice. (Note: "priest/priesthood means something different in Mormonism than it does in mainline christian denominations.)
Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The truth is important for its own sake, as it is reflective of God, the Author of truth, whereas falsehood to any degree is not. Something science-denying fundamentalists don't get.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I definitely get that, and thats basically what I figured you would say. Based on my recollection of your views, when I was using "Christians" I didn't really mean you, but more touchy-feely, 'spirituality,' 'why cant we all get along' Christians. I understand the fundamental differences between Mormonism and, say, Catholocism.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:26 AM

I have a handle on LDS history, man. Not having any hell per se does put them a few steps up in my book.