Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Poker league - Soliciting ideas

Me and some friends are toying with the idea of starting up a poker league. We have a fair regular crew of around 10. The purpose of the league would be to solidify dates of play (i.e we'd have a schedule and someone would be designated to host a game on a monthly or periodic basis).

Are there any others that are doing something similar? Any ideas on how to jazz it up a bit?

We tend to play low stakes $25 buy-in and have up to 18-20 people on a given night. Cash games break as well. I was thinking you could have a points system ala NASCAR (which I don't have a clue about how that works) to determine the best player (s) for a given time period.

What else?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Poker league - Soliciting ideas

There are ALOT of people that run or play in a poker league. Try a google search. There are many sites that allow you to post your stats online and control access to the player's you designate. Using an online site makes your league more "professional" IMO
Old 03-29-2007, 01:18 PM

Linky to poker leage info:

http://www.homepokertourney.com/poker-leagues.htm
Old 03-29-2007, 02:26 PM

Shameless plug: www.homepokertour.com

This is my site and it is free for you to use to host your poker league.

Let me know if you setup a league and if you want me to feature it on the main page in the future.

thx
Old 03-30-2007, 01:38 PM

Got to have some Bling, the bigger and gaudier the better. With the requirement that the winner must wear it at all future games during their reign as champion. Failure to wear said bling results in forfieture of title.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Plus some good natured trash talking, bragging, etc.

Our point system is simple and is dedsigned to keep everyone involved. Since we have 20 regulars we do a point reversal for final placement, ie., 1st=20 We generally have 18 show so even just showing up gets you 3. We also give bonus points for 1st-3rd of 5, 3, and 2. We'll track this for 11 months, Jan-Nov. We are also subtracting each players lowest score before adding it up for a total. (so best 10 months) In December we will have the Championship. I believe we'll be awarding additional chips based on point standings for the final game.

We've had something like a league going on for about 3 years now. Have had a regular group of 20. It's always been more about just getting out and hanging with the guys. Buy in is $30. Unfortunately we play in a motel conference room so a chunk of the buy in pays for the room.

We also only play once a month so the commitment isn't that great.

We have a bizarre structure: Say 18 show. We have two tables and everyone starts with T1500. For the first 90 minutes we play limit, 25/50, with blinds of 15/25. At the end of this we take chip counts and move players based on their counts. Top half go to table 1, bottom half to table 2. We switch to NL with 30 minute levels and blinds of 25/50, 50/100, 100/200, 200/400.

Everyone at table 1 receives a payout. (minimum is $25). At table 1 you play with whatever chips you came with. Generally players have between 1650 - 2400

Table 2 (aka the losers table) is a bit different. It follows the same NL format but as players come with less chips we instituted a 1100 minimum. If you have less than 1100 you get chipped up, for free. Here only the top four get paid with first getting $20 (2-4 get $10 each).

The points are broken up by table also. Table 1 has the top 9 players, Table 2 has 10-18. The worst you can do by making table 1 is 9th place. So by making Table 1 you guarantee yourself at least a $25 payout and 12 points.

As you can see we're all about keeping everyone involved for as long as possible. Even if you bust out in the limit portion you'll get 1100 for the NL portion and have a shot at the $20. It's strange, but I think the lack of serious money to be won plus the majority of the players receiving some type of payout has kept it going. Thanks to the payout most guys are cutting their cost to less than $20, or better yet, winning a little on any given night (Due to having to pay for the motel room it's almost impossible for anyone to actually make money....We can't even beat the rake in our own game....lol). But not bad for 3-4 hours of poker with the guys.

We also have a new host each month. So players host every 20 months. As this is a requirement we ran into a little problem whenever we had an alternate show up for game. (we try to always have 18 so if 3 or more regulars cannot make it we invite alternates)Well as an alternate you are not required to host. Anyone with half a brain says I'll stay an alternate - all the benefits with hosting duties. To compensate for this the buy in for alternates is $40. The extra $10 goes into a general fund. It'll provide additional money for the Championship game or help pay for things like cards, chips, etc.

Good luck
Old 03-30-2007, 05:22 PM

I'm in a league where you get points based on your finish. The cost of the tourneys is $33, and $3 goes into the league fund. At the end of the year, the points leader gets 20% of the fund. The other 80% is added to the prizepool of the championship tourney, which also has a $50 buyin, and is only open to the top 10 on the leaderboard. Adds a lot to the game.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:16 PM

We just finished our 12 week season that I host.

$10 season buy-in + $5 extra for each tournament (only season players). Our regular buy-in is $10, but season players pay $15.

We did reverse points, first out gets 1 point, next gets 2 points, and the money spots get 1 bonus point for each spot. Your final points was based on your best 8 out of 12 tournaments.....this way missing a tourney was not too much of a big deal.

For such low stakes, we had a total of $600 in the season pool. We split it $300 pool for the points and $300 pool for the final table. We paid top four ($120, $80, $60, $40) for both. I even got crystal engraved trophies for the top points (which I won), and final table winners.

It really adds another dimension to the home game and keeps attendance a little more stable. Try it out, it'll be fun.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:58 AM

Thanks for the websites -
My boss & I wanted to do something that would build a WSOP Main event buy in, so we started a tournament with one game a month for 9 months. 1/2 of the buy in goes to a payout for that night and 1/2 goes into a " WSOP pool " . - Win a tournament and get a seat at the 9 person final table for the WSOP pool - winner take all. We got 19 players.

The only thing I didn't like about the set up was that if you won twice you'd get two stacks and basically make the final table 8 seats, 7 for 2 wins etc. - That sat wrong with me since all 19 people were contributing to the WSOP pool I thought at least 9 of us should get a shot. { none of the other players agreed with me at the time - keep reading : ) }

My boss lives 100+ miles from me And I didn't like the structure so I started my own tourney locally with a structure that would guarantee one of the other players would get in if someone won twice or more.

Funny thing is that his game had one person win 3 tournaments and mine hasn't gotten a single repeat winner.

I didn't use a point system for the double winner, but I think I will on the next one. I believe he's going to go to some sort of point structure too, for the next one he does.

I attend both tournaments (didn't bring my objection to the structure up until I had paid at tourney #1, so I was committed ) and it is a ton of fun. The cash games afterward are usually GREAT.

He thinks his tourney will grow to 20 - 25 people next time so it'll give them a lower buy in. If he implements a point system that will give a 10th or more players a shot at the final table + take the seats for multiple winners ( he's thinking 12 - 16 possibly start 2 tables short handed 'till 9 ) I'll probably stay in that one too...

We got buy ins for four WSOP pool buy ins up front to keep from having drop outs spoil the pool.

I'm doing the conference room at a local hotel too and it's great - don't have to worry about cleanup / 20 goofballs bothering the wife - The local Hilton has a large hotel room with a boardroom table on one side and I have them set up another table - patio for cigar smoking / TV / kitchen area - no one minds paying the extra for the room.

Have fun