Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 02:38 PM

Default How to best play this hand??

8 players left and7 are in the money. You pick up Pkt Q's sitting on the button and have about $5000 in chips which is 6th best. Blinds are 200/400 and UTG+1 raises to $1200.00. You don't have a read on this player as the talbe was just merged. I thought as follows (1)just calling and if an A or K didn't come on the flop go all in. (2)Raising to $2500 (about 1/2 half my chips and hope to win the pot right there. (3) Go all in....I chose 2 and he went all in (about $7000.00 in chips). I called and he turned over Pkt 6's. He caught a 6 on the turn and I was out..However this is not about a bad beat...I'm wondering what is the best play of the 3 choices above. As it turned out anyone of the 3 would have put me out,but for future reference is any one ot the 3 better than another, or are they about equal in choice????
Old 01-02-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: How to best play this hand??

anything other then shove is bad
Old 01-02-2007, 02:49 PM

You should read this forum more frequenly if the mere thought of not pushing here entered your mind.

Any action that is not a push is really bad
Old 01-02-2007, 03:06 PM

I wouldn't consider anything other than moving in here. It's just an obvious play.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(2)Raising to $2500 (about 1/2 half my chips and hope to win the pot right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's no raise. you are giving him 1:3 odds on the call. only an idiot would fold here after putting 1200 chips in.

like the others already posted: push
Old 01-02-2007, 03:41 PM

NINJA PUSH
Old 01-02-2007, 11:03 PM

5 replys and all favor going "all in"...However none gave any reason or any other possibility. What about the fact that your only 1 from the money???Perhaps a laydown?? Or just calling? I think you have to consider his raise from early position which is more likly to mean AK,AQ,or a pkt pair AA thru 10 10..In which case you only have the JJ or 10 10 beat if an A or K are flopped. By only calling the raise you can still get away from the hand with enough chips to remain viable if an A or K come on the flop and he leads out with a big raise. Is this wrong thinking????
Old 01-02-2007, 11:44 PM

the reason you push is that you cannot afford to call and fold if a king or a queen come off. you try to win the whole tournament and not just make the money. In the long run it's about winning not cashing. You dont have enough to call fold. Not if you want to win
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 PM

A more reliable answer would be offered if you give the stack size and position of other players and your reads on them, but the basic idea is already out here. Your M of 8 is not big enough to play QQ in any other way than shove. And in a MTT, your goal is not to make it into the money. You have to play to win.