Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 05:32 PM

Default Creating a Player-Notes-Database for every SNG level

HI guys,
i had recently some problems with taking notes and importing/exporting them. After solving it, i just had an interesting idea i wanna share.

What about sharing our notes on players? IMO this would be a advantage for all of us. And i also think that we are destroying our own earning rate with that.
Lets say MikeMQ and JSH are playing 76$ 6-man. As long as both of them don`t play every SNG together, they`d both profit form exchanging their notes. e.g.:

a) you have QQ and get reraised all-in PF. A fold or call is really read dependent in the levels 27$ and higher. If i have the note "calling station, -43% roi, pushes light etc." i am gladly to instacall him. If the note is "tight multitabler" i have a pretty easy fold (and i am only the 0,000000000001% unhappy where he has the other queens).

b) Regulars playing against each other: We usually profit from mistakes of the very bad player and not from the other decent player(s). If you don`t know every single regular, notes can help you not to mess up with the wrong player. Against those guys you can usually fold TPTK against a raise. I believe this can save us tons of money.

Of course my idea has the simple disadvantage that some people made "good" notes and observed very dilligent and others who didn`t make any notes at all/ or bad notes.
So i am not sure if this idea can have any success, but i hope your answers can give me a clear picture.

This is how it should work:

1)Everybody can send me their notes.txt with their buy-in level.
2)I will simply have to copy-paste the text into a "xbuyin.txt"
3)I send it back to all people who mailed me.

Ok, waiting to be flamed or loved [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Creating a Player-Notes-Database for every SNG level

I've taken on sharing notes with a few. PS does not resolve duplicate entries in the .txt file. Only the first entry is taken (I'm not sure about other sites). A poster here wrote a quick program to combine/remove dups for me.

If you get that far, let me know. I'd be happy to share it with the author's permission.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:11 PM

I love the idea.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:21 PM

in general i don't like the idea.

this is not a forum for exchanging your fish lists, and it's not "our team" against "their team"
Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in general i don't like the idea.

this is not a forum for exchanging your fish lists, and it's not "our team" against "their team"

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

It's one thing to discuss a player with a friend or two but stockpiling hundreds of users notes on a player is something else.

I would like to see what other people's notes on me are though.

Maybe we could post some old screen names for discussion?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 PM

I honestly would not want to rely on any note taken by somebody but me.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:34 PM

Actually i don`t understand the ethic problems you and citanul seem to have. Its not that i am standing 100% behind my idea. The idea just came up, and i wanted to get some feedback.

But if you think my idea is ethical not "correct", i am wondering why you might use PaHud, pokertracker etc...These programs are all there to show you, who the fish are.

In my chess database i have a few million games. And i am of course looking for weaknesses of my next opponent in a tourney. And this is exactly what notes do for us in poker. So everything i wanna do, is share my thoughts with other people.

What are we actually doing in this forum? We are exchanging advice how to beat the fish (fish = relative to the own skill level).

Why would it be right to say "futuredoc" is a multitabling nit and raises only QQ+ etc...and wrong to say "sonneti" is the biggest fish and pushes PF with 34o after three raises in front of him [sry sonneti [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] ]...

Pls tell me if I got your lines wrong (Citanul), but it sounds for me like "don`t get yourself more weapons to rob the poor fish". Maybe you can explain me, what you mean.

IMO poker is a "game of robing". But every player knows that and every player has the same chance to do something against beiing robed. So i can`t see that my idea is unethical, since it doesn`t violate any rules and everybody can do it.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:00 AM

I think there's a line between sharing notes with other posters at your level, and creating a database for the forum. You have to remember it's a public forum, and the notes you share will include members of this forum.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a line between sharing notes with other posters at your level, and creating a database for the forum. You have to remember it's a public forum, and the notes you share will include members of this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a solid point, but we can do all stuff over email etc...And as i mentioned it doesn`t really matter, if someone here knows that i don`t push TT PF in level 1 etc. Its somehow pretty easy to recognize a decent player and unless you are a very good player you won`t make to much money out of me and my leaks (and other regs). We still earn our + x%-Roi from totally silly plays. The edge we have among other regs is not that huge. Therefore I gladly give away some of my leaks in order to get plenty of good reads on fish. I like the risk-reward-ratio.

I actually like the word, which citanul used. A "fishlist" pretty much discribes it, although he used it with a negative connotation.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:14 AM

I thought this wasn't even legal.