Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Ed Miller Interview.

Here's an interview I did with our fallen leader who (lol) who does continue to lead us from his excellent website. The Great Ed Miller.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Deleted 2p2 Question.

I think this question is why I couldn't get this on the other site I was contributing to. I believe the editor might have thought Miller was my buddy or something (If I could be so lucky!). Anyway, pokulator seems to be an excellent fellow.

BC: How about Two Plus Two forum? I know I speak for everybody there when I say that you're missed. Do you think you'll return any time soon? Many of us could use the advice.

EM: Um, yeah maybe, I stopped posting because I was spending too much time on the forums and it cut down on my free time. That's why I started up my blog (notedpokerauthority.com). Right now, I'm concentrating on making my blog a good strategic resource. I answer player questions about hands and post them on my blog. Maybe, I'll end up returning to the Two Plus Two forum in the future.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Deleted 2p2 Question.

Well, I guess I won't be publishing this interview in the January issue of the Two Plus Two Magazine.

Bernard had submitted the article on 12/19. I've been on vacation for the past week and had only made a preliminary read of it.

Despite the often talked about friction, Ed Miller was fine with the interview being in the 2+2 Magazine. Mat Sklansky thought it should be published simply because it was good promotion for Ed's and 2+2's books. Mason had asked Mat (and Chuck Weinstock) to take a look at it and I hadn't heard a final word from him.

My initial reaction to the article was that it might be a bit too much of an introductory article for the 2+2 Magazine. This is a website where Ed is already exceptionally well known. So, I think it probably works out better for everyone this way.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Deleted 2p2 Question.

Hi Dynasty, I just PMed you but I wasn't referring to 2p2 magazine in my post though, but glad you took a look at it. I hadn't heard anything. Hope you enjoyed the vacation and Ed definitely didn't seem like he was irritated at anyone here when I talked to him. I was referring to the original person thinking he was my buddy or something because he was with 2p2.That's why I just deleted the question because I thought it looked a bit inbred, lol.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller Interview.

"Ed Miller: Okay, well, I agree that it is the same game regardless of the limit, but we called it small stakes because we expected its readers to be just starting out. The book shows you how to play against loose players but not tough players."

I'm glad that Ed finally came out and said this himself. I've been getting flamed for over three years for saying the same thing. Glad to know it wasn't all in vain.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:51 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

BC: Do you think that with each passing year, the game gets tougher and tougher due to poker players sharing all their secrets with readers?
EM: No. My sense is not that the games do not get harder and harder. What the instructional stuff does is keep the marginal players interested. Without the instructional literature, theyd be more likely to simply give up. You have to remember that not everyone learns how to play well by studying. Often, theyll try to apply proven concepts and then fail miserably. That is what keeps the games good.

Interesting.

I had kind of thought that one of the main reasons limit got tougher this past year or two was SSH.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:57 PM

I am surprised at this, as I think many games on the net are pretty clearly tougher than they were 2 years ago.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had kind of thought that one of the main reasons limit got tougher this past year or two was SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, it's the migration of dead money from LHE to NLHE.

The collective IQ of LHE players continues to go up as a result.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:41 PM

I think Ed's dead wrong about that. A moron who's trying to follow the advice in SSHE is a much less profitable opponent than a moron who's winging it and never read a book. Just knowing to fold a lot preflop is a huge difference in the profitability of a limit game. The games are clearly much less juicy than they were a few years ago.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to remember that not everyone learns how to play well by studying. Often, theyll try to apply proven concepts and then fail miserably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree with this. Sadly, I fall into this category myself at times...some times...*sigh* most times.

[ QUOTE ]
That is what keeps the games good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so sure I fully agree with this. It certainly contributes, but I wouldn't rank it at the top of my reasons why.