Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Let\'s discuss AJ

Curious as to how you play AJo and AJs in small stakes NL. I don't really have a standard way of playing this hand. Wanted to get opinions to see if I have leaks.

How do you handle these situations:

Typical table (40% VP$IP, 8% PFR)

Pre-flop
- Do you fold, call, raise in EP?
- Do you call raises or reraise a typical player?

After the flop
AJ is usually a TP hand.
- How do you play a small pot with AJ?
- When do you lay it down?

Finally, how do you answer those questions on a table with tougher players? How about a LAGgy table?

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Let\'s discuss AJ

I hate AJ - it's so often dominated.

I will only play AJ from co/button - and only if I'm open raising.

I wouldn't call a raise with AJo without a great read.
for that matter I fold AQo to a raise as well.

AJs if I have position I call a raise according to the 5/10 rule.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:41 PM

I think you are loosing money if you are folding AQo preflop against a typical SSNL player.

I only fold AQo vs. a TAG.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:47 PM

It's the kind of hand I don't have a recipe for it. Sometimes I limp early, sometimes fold and usually raise late position if no raises before.

But you know, AJo and AJs are in the red for me right now

So I'll just keep reading this thread. lol

.fs.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:58 PM

I fold AJo in early pos, raise AJ suited. Raise both in late postition.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:07 PM

Full ring: fold in EP, limp in MP, raise in LP as well as specific situations such as raising limpers or isolating weak players. Sooted makes no difference.

Much easier to play with position.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:10 PM

FWIW I am net +$100 with AJs and AJo for the 112 times I've seen the hand in Party $50 NL 6-max. So it's not a problem so far but I don't feel like I have a strategy with AJ.

Yeah, I open-raise with it. But the big question is when do you call raises or re-raise preflop?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I am net +$100 with AJs and AJo for the 112 times I've seen the hand in Party $50 NL 6-max. So it's not a problem so far but I don't feel like I have a strategy with AJ.

Yeah, I open-raise with it. But the big question is when do you call raises or re-raise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to the big question must be a resounding "NO". You certainly do not re-raise preflop with AJ because you will only be called by hands you are behind. Calling raises with AJ might be break-even (maybe) on the button against a loose raiser whose postflop tendencies you understand well.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to the big question must be a resounding "NO". You certainly do not re-raise preflop with AJ because you will only be called by hands you are behind. Calling raises with AJ might be break-even (maybe) on the button against a loose raiser whose postflop tendencies you understand well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is getting ridiculous. What about when you get better hands to fold (PPs, AQ etc). What about when a better hand calls but you get them to fold postflop (eg AK on low board). What about then there is a ton of dead money in the pot and the raiser can't stand a reraise?
Old 02-05-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is getting ridiculous. What about when you get better hands to fold (PPs, AQ etc). What about when a better hand calls but you get them to fold postflop (eg AK on low board). What about then there is a ton of dead money in the pot and the raiser can't stand a reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you're really going to try to use anecdotal evidence to explain why reraising with AJ is a good policy. I'm gonna love this. Explain away.