Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM

Default QQ -- First Hand

This may be easy, but I'd thought I'd check....

You are UTG with QQ in the first hand of a 54 person $50 sng. 15/30 blinds and 3000 stack. 6max table. You raise to 150, guy after you calls, SB calls, BB calls:

6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

checked to you, you bet pot, folded to BB who c/raises AI. This is a fold, right, even with the possible draws? What if he c/raises to like half your stack? Still a fold? How about if he c/raises ai and you have KK instead of QQ?

Thanks,
gm
Old 12-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Re: QQ -- First Hand

Do you have the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?

If this was a lower limit (<$50), I'd probably call. I see players pull this all the time thinking I missed the flop and am CB my AK/AQ.

But without a definite read, I might give the BB credit for having 2 pair, set or slowplayed monster. Muck/call, either is okay depending how you feel. No difference if it is KK.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Any reason you raised for 5 big blinds preflop? Are you making the same raise with aces? It's not a major blunder with a strong hand like this, but I'm just wondering. Wether you have the queen of diamonds is also marginally important, but not irrelevant. And also a little bit important what the exact position of you and the guy after you was.

Anyway, on the flop the pot is t600. You bet that, and the BB CRAI. The pot is now t4050, and it costs you t2250 to call. So your pot odds of 1.8 to 1 are pretty good. You only need to win 36% of the time here to break even.

Still, if the villain has flopped a set here, you're pretty much dead meat.

But, villain could easily take this line with two high diamonds, possibly with one overcard to your queens. The problem is that now villain has plenty of outs, so this doesn't help your equity as much as you'd like it to. Still, draws are a big part of villains range.

Villain could also dot his with 88-TT(JJ slightly disregarded as you expect it to repop preflop.) These are obviously the hands you really love to see here.

All in all, it's pretty marginal. Personally I think I'd call, given that it's the first hand, but I'm not gonna flame anyone who says they'd fold this. Curious about results.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 PM

Um, I probably don't fold this in a $200 tournament. I certainly don't fold it in a $50 tournament. You're often on the good side of a coinflip (with overlay) against two high diamonds, JJ-88 thinks it's the nuts here, and AA-KK would probably repop preflop. Sure, I guess it's a set or 2p sometimes, but not nearly enough to make fold here.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

All in all, it's pretty marginal. Personally I think I'd call, given that it's the first hand, but I'm not gonna flame anyone who says they'd fold this. Curious about results.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the actual hand, I bet and everyone folded. I just started thinking about what if....

Seemed to me like our equity is pretty poor even with the draws (since draws have alot of equity anyway), and that it's worth more to survive here.

But that was just a guess, and I'm not familiar enough with these games to feel confident assigning villain a range. Guess ppl are looser early on than I thought. I've definitely seen moves like this at these levels, but I didn't think they were average player moves. Also, I think PP lower than TT is wishful thinking, but am not sure of that. I'd guess we are 70/30 to 60/40 underdog here. Is that way off?

Thanks for the thoughts everyone,
gm