Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 10:02 AM

Default ruling

we were playing last night at our local bar.

$1/$2 NL 8 handed.

player A raises $10 preflop and player B, player C and I decide to call with my
middle suited connectors.

The flop is 6,6,7 rainbow. I flopped top pair. nothing big but it's checked to
me.

I decide to make a stab at it. I bet $15. These guys aren't the type to check
a free card, especially if they have an over pair to that board. If someone has
the 6, then I'll know when they call (maybe).

player A folds and just before player B was about to fold, the dealer for some
reason flips the card. I said WTF?

and now that player B saw the card, he says, I saw it and I'm going all-in. He
didn't have a whole lot more than my bet. I think he had $30 or so total.
PLayer C folds and I kinda had to call because there is always a small chance he
was bluffing.

well.... he wasn't bluffing and it was a King on the turn and he had K,Q in his
hand and I lose.

What is the correct ruling here? Other than player B obviously being a goof and
even though he saw the card, still should have folded regardless.. because that
was what he was going to do anyway.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: ruling

The exposed turn card gets put to the side.

Player B acts on your raise.

The card that would naturally have been the river is now played as the turn. This is done to try to keep the board as natural as possible.

Turn action will ensue.

Now you will have 4 cards on the board, the exposed turn off to the side, the 3 burn cards and of course the stub of unplayed cards.

The exposed turn card will be shuffled back into the stub and assuming there is a need for the river, another random card will be taken without burning a card and placed as the river.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:18 PM

You need to be more specific about the dealer actions. Was the card that was flipped the burn card? If the card exposed was the burn card, it will be shown to all players and the next card is the turn.

I agree with Khabbi above, except that there will be a burn card prior to the river card. Here is a link to the rules that I use, which are pretty clear.

http://www.homepokertourney.com/docs...ook-charts.pdf
Old 01-04-2007, 03:46 PM

The golden rule is that if the dealer turns any card over be it the first card of the flop, the whole flop, the turn or the river BEFORE action is completed, then the card is NOT used.

Depending on the circumstances which are detailed in the rules somewhere, the exposed card is burned or shuffled back into the deck or whatever but it is NEVER used for the board, it is always dead. The action resumes where it left off and again, according to the rules, a new card(s) is dealt by the dealer after the action is complete.

Edit: I just thought of another golden rule. If a flop, turn or river card is exposed before action is complete then it must be reshuffled into the deck. To confirm this, just imagine you are drawing to an inside straight flush and the card you need hits on the river. But the dealer turned it over too early. Bummer, but you would certainly want that card reshuffled into the deck so at least you get another shot at it. It would be unfair for that card to be set off to the side with no chance of appearing again. Now if a burn card accidentally gets exposed and it's your inside straight flush card, well then too bad. It was a burn card and you weren't going to hit it so it is set off to the side.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to be more specific about the dealer actions. Was the card that was flipped the burn card? If the card exposed was the burn card, it will be shown to all players and the next card is the turn.

I agree with Khabbi above, except that there will be a burn card prior to the river card. Here is a link to the rules that I use, which are pretty clear.

http://www.homepokertourney.com/docs...ook-charts.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no burn card prior to turning over the new river card. Your link says the samething
Old 01-04-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The golden rule is that if the dealer turns any card over be it the first card of the flop, the whole flop, the turn or the river BEFORE action is completed, then the card is NOT used.

Depending on the circumstances which are detailed in the rules somewhere, the exposed card is burned or shuffled back into the deck or whatever but it is NEVER used for the board, it is always dead. The action resumes where it left off and again, according to the rules, a new card(s) is dealt by the dealer after the action is complete.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless there's some overriding issue that requires a hand be un-played, the premature card(s) should always go back in the deck. That way all the people who figured their odds with it still in the deck are not at a disadvantage vs. those who complete their action after the premature deal.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now you will have 4 cards on the board, the exposed turn off to the side, the 3 burn cards and of course the stub of unplayed cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed that the turn was dealt properly, albeit prematurely, with the proper burn card already taken off for that street. That being the case, the natural river would be the 2nd card in the stub now.

The exposed card is put aside for now, flop action is completed and the turn is played with the natural river burn + river card.

Then on the river, the exposed card is shuffled back into the deck. We have taken all the burn cards from the deck now, so the only thing the dealer should be putting out on the river this time is the top card from the shuffled stub.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless there's some overriding issue that requires a hand be un-played, the premature card(s) should always go back in the deck. That way all the people who figured their odds with it still in the deck are not at a disadvantage vs. those who complete their action after the premature deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I see by the time on your post that you must have just missed my edit.

BTW, I have an original set of lawn darts that I use for drinking games. Why do morons have to ruin it by abusing good games and getting them banned?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:45 PM

It should be exposed so all can see it, then shuffled back in the deck with a new turn card dealt without a burn.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be exposed so all can see it, then shuffled back in the deck with a new turn card dealt without a burn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to be a nit in your direction, but I'm just trying to stoke my own massive ego here.

Here goes. If a card is to be shuffled back into the deck, why would it be necessary to see it?